Resolved PayPal process credit card accounts?

Howard_S

Registered
Registered
I made a 10.00 donation using my credit card. Why does my bank tell me this went through PayPal? I don't have an account with them but it does appear that they have my credit card information now. Do you use them to process your credit card donations? Please advise
Howard

Hi Howard,

That is a good question. This can seem complicated to someone that doesn't have a PayPal account but it seems that you are giving PayPal private information that they now possess. The short answer is that nobody has your credit card info at this point in time because it was a one time transaction.

Skip to the last line if you want additional reassurance. If you want the longer explanation of how these transactions work in general when you use PayPal or credit card processing, keep reading:

The PayPal service can process credit cards in the same way that other retail commerce websites process credit cards. When you say, "they have my credit card information now", that is true for the one time transaction to make your donation. The next time you use PayPal, whether it is on The Hobby-Machinist or some other site that uses PayPal to process credit card payments, you will need to re-enter your information because they cannot store your information without you first creating an account with them. By creating an account with PayPal, you give them permission to access your accounts to make transactions on your behalf. I have had an account with PayPal since their beginning and have NEVER had any privacy or identity theft issues. So, again, to restate this - your information is safe and not out there in the ether.

If you followed that, then it should follow that Hobby-Machinist doesn't collect your credit card information - we aren't allowed to to do that by way of using the PayPal service - it does all of the work behind the scenes and in your case it is a one time deal. Both parties in a transaction have their account information protected from prying eyes on both ends by way of using PayPal.

++++ This part is important and is on you to evaluate and make decisions that are best for you ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is a possibility that if you have directed your local web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer) on your tablet, laptop or desktop PC to "save" your credit card information, then the next time you go to make a transaction online your web browser will bring that information up into the credit card fields so you don't have to fill it out again. This has nothing to do with PayPal or Hobby-Machinist or any other retail commerce website for that matter. It is a matter of convenience but some people see that web browser option as a privacy risk. And it is only a risk if somebody steals your physical PC, can log onto your private computer and is able to sign-in to your web browser and then start making purchases on your computer. All of these local PC options to store your CC information are options that you control from your web browser and have nothing to do with PayPal and Hobby Machinist.

For those of you who have made transactions at home and access your web accounts from work. You should take precautions at work to lock your computer when you are away from your desk or workstation. Do not leave you phone lying around and use a passcode to secure your devices that may be at risk of getting stolen or somebody snooping when you aren't looking.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, you made it through the long part...in summary, if you do not have a PayPal account and you do not store your CC information in your browser options - AND nobody has access to your computer and web browser...then you are safe.

Bryan

Upvote 0
I made a 10.00 donation using my credit card. Why does my bank tell me this went through PayPal? I don't have an account with them but it does appear that they have my credit card information now. Do you use them to process your credit card donations? Please advise
Howard
Howard, I was hyper-focused on your request and forgot to add....THANK YOU for your donation!!!

Upvote 0
Back