pick up my new Logan 7" shaper

The south bend was $650.00 in super nice condition with the original stand. He also had a southbend surface grinder that looked to be in like new condition also.

Wow! Right place right time Jason. No trip planned to pick up surface grinder? Super find!

David

Jason, you do know a super suck award is a high privledge! thats sweet you are going to love it.
get a chance to see my many attachments they are in here somewhere.

Wow! Right place right time Jason. No trip planned to pick up surface grinder? Super find!

David

Agreed, should strike while the iron is hot on the surface grinder if you can. Many dogs out there, few cherries!

Yes, I would really like the surface grinder but the wife is getting a little upset with all the machinery I have been buying.:nono:

Yes, I would really like the surface grinder but the wife is getting a little upset with all the machinery I have been buying.:nono:

Well, do you have something you can tell her you will sell to offset the cost? Like you have 2 drill presses and will sell one to fund the grinder or something like that? If not all I can tell you to do is hunch up and buy the grinder and take the hit for it. I did that a few years back when we really did not have the bones to spare for hobby machines, but I cut the deal anyway. I bought an Atlas 7" shaper and and little Atlas horizontal milling machine for $500. She still throws me the hairy eyeball every time that subject comes up and that was well over 5 years ago. I don't regret that one, really the only time I spent money somewhat irresponsibly in the whole 14 we have been married and really, come on, it was only $500. It wasn't like I put a second mortgage on the place to by a sports car or a speed boat ya know. When used tool/machine bargains appear you have to strike while the iron is hot, like your shaper......Those deals don't show up every day, generally you pay an arm and a leg for a rusty pile of clapped out crap.

I really do have a very good understanding wife, she normaly lets me buy anything I want. I have a pretty good hospital bill that I need to pay off before I buy anymore machines. I bought 2 mills, a shaper, large drill press and another lathe in the past couple months. My shop is starting to look like a vintage machine museum. I have more machines than the average hobby machinist so Its getting hard to tell the wife I have to have this or that. I have doubles and tripples of the same machine and she asks why I need more than one of the same kind of machine. I tell her so I do not have to set up my machines to run different jobs, they are set to run different things. She rolls her eyes at me. She thinks I'm obsessed.:*****slap:

I have a Logan 7" shaper like this......except they were a little used. Cranking by hand itsounded llike a trasmission full of gravel.
Bought it anyway and hauled it home. First I looked it over and desided to clean the chain. It was covered in mud and clods. I cleaned it up an it was as new. It seems the thing sat in a barn on a ranch in the hill country of Texas and a few dirt daubers build an apartment in it. After removing about 5 # of dauber nests and a good cleaning it runs like a top. Then a fellow I knew called and said to come over.So I got there and he gave me his South Bend bench mount 7" shaper on a stand. He had quoted it to me for $2000 on a couple occasions. Now he gives it to me.........living a dream now. Yea, Why do I need two shapers of the same size? Well they both do thing different and each has redeaming values,ie, each does something the other doesn't do nearly as well. Yes ,I am a happy fellow.

Back