Picked Up A Ghb 1340 Today

Maybe it's time to sit down with a file. Never seen that before.

I haven't either. I'll probably use my large disk sander to get it close, then go to a file for a final fit.

Its hard to imagine this got by a QC check at the factory. It's a minor thing to repair, but so important to the operation on the lathe.

Could it be it's not the original gib? Maybe a replacement that is the wrong size?

It's possible not knowing the history of the lathe.

When you lay the gib beside the slide the length matches. It's hard to believe it was run that way. Like I said it was impossible to move the slide.

On another note, the nut has no play at all. I haven't found any wear no matter where I look . So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope to get a motor on it soon. Jim is going to check what size pulley I need and I'll order one in and pick up a motor from HF.

Got the cross slide to move now. Works great.

Pulled the motor mount setup the previous owner had made up. It's massive, weighs at least 40lbs. Thankfully the original motor mount was with it.

Ordered a pulley for it, and will pick up that HF motor I mentioned. I think I'll have to drag it out to Jim's to get the wiring sorted out.
20150927_183248.jpg

20150929_184145.jpg

Well the lathe took a trip today to Jim's place. He worked on it rewiring the main power box for hours and we plugged it in and it worked great, sounded good.. Had forward and reverse. Only ran it for a few seconds, then decided to stop and reverse it. Then we found out why they probably took it out of service. The rotary drum switch put power to both forward and reverse at the same time. Not good sound. Probably burned out the original motor, and the replacement motor they adapted to it.

Took the switch apart and it's corroded pretty badly. I looked one up and it say they are for GHB lathes. Looks different than the one one I have.

I'll call tomorrow and see if it fits my model. Jet is out of stock on it, but Ereplacement parts has 3 of them (for more money) than Jet.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/rotary-drum-switch-ghb-bdb-p-755600.html?q=ghb1340-e04

I have a D1-4 back plate coming for my 5C collet chuck, and a BXA tool post and holders.

Still need to find a 3 jaw chuck for it.

Update: Well I'm not too high n HF motors about now. I got the lathe home and fund a rotary switch that would work in place of the bad one and gt it installed. Turned it on forward and great, reverse and great. Tried forward again and a very loud noise from the motor. I figured I must have done something wrong wiring the switch.

So another trip back to Jim's place and he worked on modifying the rotary switch. And we wired he motor direct and made that same loud noise. Bad motor. Had less than 2 minutes run time on it. So back to HF, exchanged the motor and we hooked it up direct again. Works, but it's loud. Also got very hot after being run for 1/2 hour.

Went ahead and put it on and everything works. Can't find anything wrong with the lathe at all. Everything seems to work just fine. Got it moved to where it will live at and am pretty happy with it. I'm at about $1000 in it right now. I ordered a BXA post and 2 oversize holders that fit my 3/4" tools. Also got a back plate for my 5c collet chuck. Now 'm looking for an 8" 3 jaw chuck and a drill chuck for the tail stock.

I went to machine the T slot nut for the tool post, turned my mill on and my VFD literally blew up. Made a hell of a noise. Jim has one I can buy from him. I'll go out later today and get it. I have customer parts to run and don't have a mill, and can't run the lathe until I cut down the T slot nut.

Oh well.............into each life some rain must fall I guess. Minor setback. I'll overcome it :)

20151006_084051.jpg

Back