pinning a threaded spindle

bluevobler

Registered
Registered
This is probably impossible, but is there even a remote possibility of converting a threaded spindle to a camlock one ?
Cheers, Rich

I suppose most anything is theoretically "possible". Maybe you could make an entire replacement spindle assembly and machine it to what ever chuck mount you wanted. It may well be possible to make an adapter ring to hold the cams (they are available separately). The relationship between the nose taper and the nose face is critical, but getting critical dimensions correct is called "machining". Of course the adapter ring would still be threaded on - but threaded is not really a big problem.

What is your intent? Do you have an easy source or selection of cam lock spindle tooling and a machine with a threaded nose? Replacement back plates are not difficult to get / install.

Let us know how you make out. Regards, David

Well anything is possible. You could make a new spindle. But if you read the other thread there are effective ways to hold a threaded chuck.

Well anything is possible. You could make a new spindle. But if you read the other thread there are effective ways to hold a threaded chuck.
Very true. It seems though that camlock is way faster if juggle different chuck.
Rich

I suppose most anything is theoretically "possible". Maybe you could make an entire replacement spindle assembly and machine it to what ever chuck mount you wanted. It may well be possible to make an adapter ring to hold the cams (they are available separately). The relationship between the nose taper and the nose face is critical, but getting critical dimensions correct is called "machining". Of course the adapter ring would still be threaded on - but threaded is not really a big problem.

What is your intent? Do you have an easy source or selection of cam lock spindle tooling and a machine with a threaded nose? Replacement back plates are not difficult to get / install.

Let us know how you make out. Regards, David
Thanks David. No, I do not have ample selection of cam lock spindle tooling. I wish I had. So far I have not been able to find any adapter rings to hold the cams. If you know of the source, please share it.
Rich

You should be able to find something local to you. For a D1-4, it will be securely wrapped in a piece of 5" diameter bar, about 2" long. You are into machining, so make it. The final cutting would need to be done on the lathe it will be used on (I would not trust a purchased ring to be right).

Obviously, the easiest way to get a D1 style mount is to just purchase a lathe that is so fitted. What is the issue with the threaded spindle? They have probably been in use for a couple hundred years and lots of excellent work done.

I have D1-4 mounts on my lathes. I use reverse occasionally, but generally it is on something that I could have done going forward.

You should be able to find something local to you. For a D1-4, it will be securely wrapped in a piece of 5" diameter bar, about 2" long. You are into machining, so make it. The final cutting would need to be done on the lathe it will be used on (I would not trust a purchased ring to be right).

Obviously, the easiest way to get a D1 style mount is to just purchase a lathe that is so fitted. What is the issue with the threaded spindle? They have probably been in use for a couple hundred years and lots of excellent work done.

I have D1-4 mounts on my lathes. I use reverse occasionally, but generally it is on something that I could have done going forward.
Thanks again,
I've never had a lathe with a cam lock spindle, so I don't really now much of the mechanics of it. What I am saying is that it would be fairly difficult for me to come up with something half decent. Besides, the lathe I just bought is a 60 years old Harrison L5 with a threaded spindle. It needs a full restoration. The ways need scraping and all the lead screws except for the main one need to be replaced. Way to much slop. I sold my Clausing 4800 because of the space constraints, hence my machining capabilities are very limited. I like to use 3 jaw chuck, the 4 independent chuck and the C5 collet that's why I like the convenience of the cam lock.
Thanks
Rich

Back