Playing around with the 24” box and pan brake

I was watching a Weld.com video this morning about TIG 101. I'm trying to figure out why I'm struggling so much with aluminum.
The light went on. He mentioned Ac-DC Tig. I went out to the shop and checked my settings. I had it set to TIG -Steel/Stainless.
DC TIG will not clean the aluminum oxide. I'm surprised I was able to weld at all.
I'll try again with TIG -Aluminum :)

For TIG make sure the edges are really clean. I would sand or brush them. What kind of aluminum is that? You may find 5052 welds much better than 6061. If you buy the 5052 with plastic sheet on one side is needs no cleaning.
Robert

For TIG make sure the edges are really clean. I would sand or brush them. What kind of aluminum is that? You may find 5052 welds much better than 6061. If you buy the 5052 with plastic sheet on one side is needs no cleaning.
Robert
That's the problem, I have a good local source for scrap aluminum, steel, stainless but it's mystery metal.
I understand some aluminum can't be welded and some resist certain filler rod.
I use a stainless brush and swipe one direction then use acetone.
Thanks Robert.

Reactions: rwm
@NCjeeper - Here's a 48 incher I found a while back on the local Craigslist:
Their list price WAS $675 at the time, but if you mentioned seeing it on Craigs, it went down to $650. Shipping $100.

I just tried the URL, and list price is up to $979 (durn it!). Don't know if they're still honoring any Craigslist special, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask.
That is Ironic. I have the same one saved in my E-Bay items. $999 free shipping.

Back