VN Please Tell Me What These Parts Are For-- (i'm A "newbie")

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I have a Van Norman 16 I bought last spring and I am still tooling it up.
It has an overarm support, and I have all the parts and am going to get that going for horizontal milling.
Along with the overarm support, there were the two "clamps" shown in the photo. I think they're somehow related to the overarm support.
Can someone tell me what they are for?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

thumb_IMG_4761_1024.jpg

Have you downloaded one of the scanned and free VN16 manuals?
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3401
At the back of each manual is a parts breakdown.
I quickly looked over all the parts and didn't see a shape which was similar to what you posted.
Is it possible it is a part for something else altogether?

Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl,
I have a manuel that came with the machine, and, I agree, I don't see the parts in the manuel. What made me think it has something to do with the overarm support is the paint. The mill is painted grey. The overarm support is painted blue (banged up but blue)-- the same color and condition as the parts in the picture. Maybe totally unrelated-- I'm just trying to find out what they are.
Bob

My VN12 also had one of these in the parts bucket, but have not yet determined application to the mill. I do not have an overarm support with my unit. I have so many other issues to deal with, this was low on the list. I would like to know what use they have.
Ron

Looking at the photo, they look like they would clamp onto the table ways. almost like an extra table position lock. But I could not find anything showing the part.

From their appearance the look like they would clamp on a dovetail, allowing them to span the lead screw.. perhaps as a travel stop.

My first thought was a lifting point that attached to a dovetail - maybe for something like installing the knee. But that is just a guess.

Thanks for the input--
Bob

Bob,

I don't recognize those as being No. 16 tooling, but that doesn't mean that they aren't. Do they seem to fit any of the dovetails on the machine? If they fit on the bottom of the ram, then they might be used in conjunction with the coolant system.

Can you post a better photo of the stud that sticks out one side?

Cal

Maybe there stops or clamps to keep the overarm or the table locked tite. Or they could be used to lift a part off or to put on the machine. Got to be used or they wouldn't be there. Yupp it's a doohickey

Back