Plow Spindle

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I actually did this project a couple of weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting it...

One of the local farm implement dealers called me and asked if I could help him out. One of his customers had broken the wheel spindle on a hydraulic-lift plow and the part is obsolete and no longer available from any source. The customer had tried to weld the broken spindle but it broke within a few minutes of use. He gave me the broken part and I ordered a piece of 8620 stock. Once I received the stock I turned a new spindle.

I didn't have the bearings or seal to use as a guide, and the someone had apparently filed or ground on the spindle at nearly every land. I had to take multiple measurements and try to deduce the correct sizes. I roughed out the shaft, leaving a few thousandths for finishing and let the shaft cool over-night. Did my finish cuts and single-pointed the 5/8x18 thread, then delivered the new spindle to the tractor dealership. I somehow hit every size except the outer bearing land. I had to take .003 off using emery cloth and the bearing slid on snugly.

I'm happy (paying job), dealership is happy, and their customer is happy he can now finish his plowing. It wasn't a highly technical job, but the previous damage to the shaft made it a bit of a challenge.

I actually did this project a couple of weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting it...

One of the local farm implement dealers called me and asked if I could help him out. One of his customers had broken the wheel spindle on a hydraulic-lift plow and the part is obsolete and no longer available from any source. The customer had tried to weld the broken spindle but it broke within a few minutes of use. He gave me the broken part and I ordered a piece of 8620 stock. Once I received the stock I turned a new spindle.

I didn't have the bearings or seal to use as a guide, and the someone had apparently filed or ground on the spindle at nearly every land. I had to take multiple measurements and try to deduce the correct sizes. I roughed out the shaft, leaving a few thousandths for finishing and let the shaft cool over-night. Did my finish cuts and single-pointed the 5/8x18 thread, then delivered the new spindle to the tractor dealership. I somehow hit every size except the outer bearing land. I had to take .003 off using emery cloth and the bearing slid on snugly.

I'm happy (paying job), dealership is happy, and their customer is happy he can now finish his plowing. It wasn't a highly technical job, but the previous damage to the shaft made it a bit of a challenge.

Great job making people happy. Of course, you made a detailed drawing just in case someone else needs the same part next week.

Yes , this is where it starts ! :encourage: The dealer will now know where to get parts made . Now the fun starts ! The hobby begins to pay for the equipment and tooling . Once your name gets out , look out . You'll get busy , which is great for a side gig . :dollars:

My first job out of school was sweeping floors in a job shop that repaired mostly logging and sawmill equipment, but worked on anything that came in the door. You wouldn't believe the condition of the "sample" parts that were brought in! Part of the detective work was having a gut feeling for what the common bearing sizes were for a particular industry. Believe it or not, this is an actual thing!

One of the curves thrown in this endeavor was metric bearings with inch bores. There was a period when this was somewhat common. The easiest custom change for a bearing manufacturer was the bore size of the inner race, so most applications that hadn't gone completely metric did the conversion there.

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping to start picking up more jobs from them. A couple of months ago I made some bushings for a bulldozer for them.

I did make a drawing of the spindle with every dimension marked 'as finished'.

There is only one machine shop in town, and he has gotten where he doesn't seem to want to do machining jobs, just welding. The next nearest shop is fifty miles away, so I'm hoping to start picking up more of these little jobs.

Back