PM 1022V 5C Collet Chuck

bspitz70

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Recently ordered one of these and wanted to see what is my best option for mounting a 5c collet check? Moving up to the PM-11/30 with the D1-4 is not an option. Thank you in advance for your input.

Brian

Good luck with that. Finding a backplate for the PM 1022/1030 is next to impossible. PM has not had any in stock for the last year. I have searched the internet for a year now and have yet to find one. I only found one that can be made to work but not an ideal solution. The spindle registration diameter is wrong so I machined a bushing and pressed it in to make it fit properly.

Last edited:
What is special about the backing plate on them? It looks like a pretty simple feature, right? It indexes on the little 'bump out' in the center of it?

It seems a mill to drill the bolt-hole things should all that is required (in addition to the lathe itself!).

What is special about the backing plate on them? It looks like a pretty simple feature, right? It indexes on the little 'bump out' in the center of it?

It seems a mill to drill the bolt-hole things should all that is required (in addition to the lathe itself!).
Bolt holes are drilled and fit fine, the center bore in the backplate that I found is larger than the spindle nose "taper" therefore it won't index (it's not a taper, it's straight). Give me a few minutes and I will show you a picture.

Here is what I was told by PM, "You can look up the specs for the back plate on the internet, It's a DIN 55027/55022. Also known as "Type C"".

The bayonet spindle on the lathe does not match PM's description above.

Last edited:

Here is the picture.

IMG_3435.JPG

I bought the backplate and nuts from Grizzly for about $13 which is nice.

This cowboy's YouTube is where I found the information on the Grizzly backplate

Here are the part numbers, the bolts are in stock at Grizzly but the flange is backordered. I bought 2.

Grizzly Chuck Backplate.jpg

Woah! An $8 backing plate! No wonder you didn't just make your own! My L1 taper is like $200 minimum for a backing plate.

Woah! An $8 backing plate! No wonder you didn't just make your own! My L1 taper is like $200 minimum for a backing plate.
The nuts were also dirt cheap.

It's $70 from PM but I am starting to doubt that they will ever get them in stock.

Back