PM 1030 making concave face cuts

peppilepew

Registered
Registered
I'm new here, I just want to say hello, and thank you for allowing me to join this wonderful knowledge based forum.

I recently purchased a new PM1030. I'm beginning to think I should have purchased an American piece of heavy iron for my needs. I rebuild transmissions for income, and sometimes need to face the surface of pumps. The most often material worked with is cast aluminum. I do not know the silica content, I would venture to say the manufacturer might not either. I have tried multiple speed throughout the 50-1900 range with a couple of different cutting tips and am ending up with concave cuts of about 5-8 thou across the face. I have indicated the balanced jig setup, and it is running quite true. Tailstock is aligned. The pump has many interrupts towards the outer 9" diameter. Is there an easy way to check parallelly of the dovetail to spindle?

Run the cross slide away from you and see if the error shows up as a change in distance from tool to workpiece?
Do you have a faceplate for the machine? Preferably a large one?

Last edited:
Can you show a picture of the set up? As a follow up to the last post , put a face plate on the spindle. Next mount a dial or test indicator on the tool post and see what reading you have. It should be flat across the face plate. If not adjust the head stock until it is. If the head stock is out the lathe won’t face flat. I would also chuck a piece of ground round in a collet and see how parallel the bar is to the ways. If you don’t have a ground bar just turn a bar only holding it by the head stock with no tail stock and see if you are truning a taper. Sounds like the head stock needs to be reset. It is all part of setting up a lathe to cut true. I assumed the lathe has been leveled. If not start there first.

Can you show a picture of the set up? As a follow up to the last post , put a face plate on the spindle. Next mount a dial or test indicator on the tool post and see what reading you have. It should be flat across the face plate. If not adjust the head stock until it is. If the head stock is out the lathe won’t face flat. I would also chuck a piece of ground round in a collet and see how parallel the bar is to the ways. If you don’t have a ground bar just turn a bar only holding it by the head stock with no tail stock and see if you are truning a taper. Sounds like the head stock needs to be reset. It is all part of setting up a lathe to cut true. I assumed the lathe has been leveled. If not start there first.
Will do. I did purchase a test bar. I will install the faceplate and run a dial indicator across the face. I did align the tailstock. I am ordering a machinist level, and a machinist square before proceeding. I will get back in a week when time allows. Thanks.

Back