PM-1030v cross slide surface

That IS NOT NORMAL, And it would be on it's way back if it was mine. That surface should be precision ground and be hand scraped on a quality machine.

I would expect more for the price of this machine, It looks like a Vevor which can be had for $800 to $900. For 3 times the money, I would expect better than that.
I think this is a case of machinist brain. I have it too, for the most part, so no offense is intended. If it was up to me, everything would be nicely machined and hand scraped!

It's amazing how badly made things often work pretty well. Recently I've been watching videos of oil men working on their equipment. Such savagery! Bearing installed with sledge hammers. Dirt everywhere. A gearbox whose only mercy is a leak that results in an occasional top-off. And yet the equipment runs well enough. Farmers can be similar, finding a economical sweet spot in the rough. On cheap machine tools, the bearing surfaces I've seen are fairly rough. I saw similar marks on my Grizzly G0755 X-axis. I'm always open to new and better information but so far, it's unbelievably rough.

His cross slide was hanging up and also causing irregularities with his turning, He was not able to hold a tolerance. Those rough surfaces will wear the mating surfaces, There is a large amount of pressure bearing down on the cross-slide and saddle surfaces when you are taking a cut. When someone chooses PM over another machine manufacturer, They chose the PM due to their reputation for a "Better Machine" with "Better Features" And "Better Quality" and customer service. When Matt is made aware of this issue, I am sure he will make it right.

There is a Youtube video of someone who bought a 1228 I believe and he showed the bed of the cross slide which was very nice but the top section was like what is mentioned by the OP. he milled .010 off that rough as hell surface and refit it to the lathe. I also have a brand new 1030 and the PM price point is above the rest of the Chinese stuff and we can and do expect a higher quality. Otherwise I would have stuck with my jet 9x19 or bought some brand "G" junk.

Just figured i would give an update. PM sent me a brand new cross slide and leadscrew nut at no charge. Not the kind of customer service you would get if buying one directly from china. I havent scraped it in yet, but just setting it on and moving it by hand it feels a lot better. I put some bluing on and slid it back and forth and it looks surprisingly good, i dont think it is going to take very much scraping to get it perfect.
There is a Youtube video of someone who bought a 1228 I believe and he showed the bed of the cross slide which was very nice but the top section was like what is mentioned by the OP. he milled .010 off that rough as hell surface and refit it to the lathe. I also have a brand new 1030 and the PM price point is above the rest of the Chinese stuff and we can and do expect a higher quality. Otherwise I would have stuck with my jet 9x19 or bought some brand "G" junk.
for me it was between this or a g0602, which was about ~$900 cheaper, but the grizzly didnt have power cross feed, didnt come with the QCTP, no t-slots on the cross slide, was only a 6 speed vs the PM's variable, came with a 5" 3 jaw chuck vs PM's 6", was out of stock for at least another 2 months at the time i ordered mine, and only had a 22" bed. on top of that ive seen several example much worse QC issues, like with clough42's cross slide. Everyone else has different wants/needs so it may not be the route for everyone, it just checked most of the boxes i was looking for.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1798751462.jpg
    Snapchat-1798751462.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 29
Back