PM-1130V compound locking nuts

zippyslug31

Registered
Registered
Just curious if anybody else has noticed something odd on their 1130V, namely the two hold-down nuts for the compound are some super bizarre size. None of the included wrenches fit them very well. The 14mm does the job but it's very sloppy and would likely round the corners on the nut over time. A 13mm wrench was too small. I took my imperial dial caliper to them and they were both was some odd-ball size like 17/32, IIRC. What I had been doing is I took one of those cheap "stamped" open-end wrenches and filed it to get a decent fit on the nuts.

My customized wrench, stamped from 1/8 sheet metal and it hurts in the hand when tightening, plus the wrench I had was pretty short.
Yesterday I took one of the nuts off and it was just your typical 8x1.25mm. I dug around in the fasteners and found a couple legit 13mm of the same pitch. Life is much better now.

Anyway... anybody else see this?
Hope this helps others that might be scratching their head over it.

17/32 used to be a common size in automotive stuff way back when, maybe 1930s - -1940s, IDK.

Just went out and checked mine, fairly loose with the supplied 14mm wrench and no better with a quality one either. looks like a trip to the hardware store for better nuts for me.

I've got a 17/32 wrench. Proto I think. They're out there, you can get them from all of the usual sources. Thirteen and a half millimeters, almost exact...

Barring any collectible, antique, or sentimental value, and given the cost of a low demand, low sales, and yet still sometimes required tool... a couple of new bolts sounds very practical. Or else a great excuse to have a new tool that your neighbor doesn't have. :cool:

Just went out and checked mine, fairly loose with the supplied 14mm wrench and no better with a quality one either. looks like a trip to the hardware store for better nuts for me.
Thanks for confirming... was starting to think I had missed something obvious. Aside from common sense that it's best to have the fewest tools for the common adjustments, it just seems like somebody's sick joke to mix metric with SAE.

Guess somebody raided the fastener bin when they were putting these lathes together.

You guys have a 14mm wrench floating around these lathes? Would these fit?

Thats exactly what I will be looking for, but will need to verify the stud height first.

Back