PM-1440HVT VS PM-1440TL Gearboxes

Windy city

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know what the design differences are between these 2 gearboxes? Aside from the HVT machine haveing a higher top speed, I am wondering what the diferences are in the gearbox design.

Thanks

Aside from being completely different manufacturers I do not know. Look at the parts list in the manuals, that might help.

Completely different the, the TL series which is a Sumaster line is modeled after the Colchester-Clausing lathes and is a universal type, so no change gears other than for DP. So all the imperial and metric threading is through the gearbox. The TL is also a much heftier and better built lathe in my opinion having seen and used both types in various models. Technically if you compare the same VFD models they both have the same top speed, and the TL variants sold by different distributors uses a pressurized lubrication system.

Reactions: jcp
Completely different the, the TL series which is a Sumaster line is modeled after the Colchester-Clausing lathes and is a universal type, so no change gears other than for DP. So all the imperial and metric threading is through the gearbox. The TL is also a much heftier and better built lathe in my opinion having seen and used both types in various models. Technically if you compare the same VFD models they both have the same top speed, and the TL variants sold by different distributors uses a pressurized lubrication system.
It’s interesting you mention the Sunmaster is modeled after the Colchester desing.
Since I own a 15x50 Clausing Colchester, which is an English made lathe, I see similarities across many different manufacturers.
What is it about the Colchester design that is so widely copied?
My opinion of the lathe is it’s a great lathe with some innovative features

Colchester was a medium priced lathe that stood up very well and a million were made. Seems like every factory in Taiwan copies the same machines but always very popular and common machines. I'm not familiar with the large heavy lathes so maybe others can fill in on that. Dave

Does anyone know what the design differences are between these 2 gearboxes? Aside from the HVT machine haveing a higher top speed, I am wondering what the diferences are in the gearbox design.
The Threading gear box levers on the HVT look very similar to my PM1440GT, not anything like the TL.

What is the real question you are trying to get answered?

Back