PM-30MV quill depth stop with custom graduated nut

mcdanlj

Registered
Registered
I got tired of not having a depth stop on my PM-30MV. I learned somewhere on the forum here that a graduated nut is called an "educated nut" and designed my own that would work with 8mm lead screw — and made buttons for both 2mm pitch/lead and 1mm pitch/lead screws that fit into the same nut body.

1679249838206.png

1679249851187.png

If I had it to do over again, I'd only make the 1mm pitch/lead screws, which is close to the typical 20tpi imperial graduated nuts; that's 1.27mm pitch. It was tricky to source the 1mm pitch/lead screws; I had to buy both the screws and the tap on aliexpress because I couldn't find them anywhere in the US. I do almost everything in metric, so metric was more convenient for me than imperial.

Then I made a rectangular quill collar out of 3/4" CRS to replace the original. My new collar has a tab sticking out of it to hold the lead screw. I made a stop plate (from 1/2" CRS) and bracket (from 1/4" CRS) which screw into the mill head in place of an existing M4 face plate screw and the worse-than-useless chip guard that I assume everyone removes along with the rest of the packing material that the mill ships with.

1679250060578.png

1679250339112.png

So far I've done 10 gradations (.1mm for the lead screw I expect to always use in practice, now that I've tried both) in sharpie so that I can see whether that's enough in practice, before I engrave any lines.

1679250385514.png

I wrote this up in much longer form, including false starts, on Maker Forums. I would suggest that anyone doing a similar project start by using this as inspiration and not a concrete design, but if you'd like to be amused you are welcome to see the long form build log that's written for an audience that mostly doesn't do machining and which I hoped to be amusing to a more general maker audience there...

My horrible drawings and my FreeCAD scratchpad model (it's really terrible and I hesitated to share it at all) are available from the Maker Forums thread if you want details that are close to what I eventually did.

The existing quill collar was a pain to remove — I had to lever it open with a large screwdriver to get it off.

The key measurements are 75mm from the back face of the quill DRO to the center of the quill, which is held with M3 holes 12mm on centers, and measuring that quill bore accurately for an interference fit when you tighten it. I bored it 0.001" undersize. The rest you can make up pretty much however you want.

I'm probably going to find a way to mount LEDs on the bottom of the collar at some point in the next few months. Also been thinking about making a removable way to attach a kool mist block to it. I left it a bit larger than it needed to specifically so that I could mount other useful stuff on it.

These are the parts I ordered from ebay for the 1mm lead screw, both of which had to ship from China:
If you work in imperial, the standard 1/2" by 20tpi screws will be cheaper and easier to come by in the US, and you'll have the option of using commercially-available "educated nuts" if you don't want to make your own from scratch the way I did.

Back