Pm-30mv tooling suggestions

carmen43p

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
Ive had my new machine for a few weeks now, it took a while getting it from my garage to the basrment and onto its base, now i have to clean it. Any suggestions on purchasing collets, mill ends, chuck for R8 spindle? There are so many, being a newbie I need help getting started. Any suggestions, comments, ideas surely appreciated, and needed!

Thsnks in advance
Carmen

The R-8 spindle has a whole host of accessories that fit direct into that taper configuration. Most common are collets, tool holders that fit a particular size tool and actual tooling like face mills and fly cutters and ER series collet chucks that have an R8 shank built in. I think most people have a set of R-8 collets and at least one drill chuck with an R8 adapter on it, and those as a minimum would get you started. Adding on to that is based on what you work on and your budget. There are lots of sources for these supplies from industrial supply houses like SHARS and MSC to places like AMAZON and E-bay. If your looking for something particular or have a question about specific items Im sure you can get lots of help from members if you just post a specific question. Have fun, Ive spent hours and $$$ searching and deciding on things I "Must" have, most of which I use on a regular basis, a few did not work out as planned.

You only need a couple collets and endmills to get started, plus a vise to hold your workpieces. Try to find a low profile vise especially if you are planning on buying a swiveling vise, the z (vertical) travel gets eaten up pretty quickly when you add a drill chuck
Mark
ps 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" collets would be a good start, those are common endmill shank diameters
Try to resist the temptation to buy a big facemill, beginners often get them, but those tools often require more power and rigidity than a small bench mill can provide

Last edited:
Harbor Freight has a decent end mill set for $75, grab one of those with a 20% off coupon and you will be off to a decent start. I only use them to cut Delrin, but they seem alright to me.

If

A 4" vise, R8 collet set, R8 drill chuck, 6" calipers, and a small collection of endmills and drills would be a good place to start. I prefer to buy individual endmills rather than the sets (most never get used). Don't go crazy on the size, you'll find your machine likes 1/4" or 3/8" best. HSS is great to start with and good for most jobs on a manual mill.

Shars is my go-to supplier, but they aren't quite as cheap as they were before tariffs.

After that I would probably get, a .0005" dial test indicator, edge finder, spot drill, fly cutter, a good set of files, and a deburring hook. Also any scrap material you can get your hands on. Don't be afraid to turn good scrap into chips as you learn.

Everything is expensive, but you don't need to have it all to get going.

Well, welcome to our world. I took the liberty's of searching where you are from. This place will help as you venture further down the rabbit hole.
Go to the webpage and follow the link to their ebay store. Shipping isn't to bad because you are close, if you want to go for a road trip, even better. I live about 45 minutes from your zip code. Feel free to touch base anytime

Well, welcome to our world. I took the liberty's of searching where you are from. This place will help as you venture further down the rabbit hole.
Go to the webpage and follow the link to their ebay store. Shipping isn't to bad because you are close, if you want to go for a road trip, even better. I live about 45 minutes from your zip code. Feel free to touch base anytime

I work about 45 mins to the north of there, great place!

Back