Pm 727 - Bearing Squeal?

Happy to report I swapped the motor bearings and the 727 is purring like a kitten again. Once I got the motor off, I could hear a chirping sound when I rotated the motor shaft.

I filmed the repair and I will get it up on youtube by this weekend. In case I hadn't mentioned it, I have recently started a youtube channel under my real name (not sure of that is a mistake or not) of Chad Hensley. I have three videos up so far. My most recent one is machining an adapter plate to mount a 3 jaw chuck on my new rotary table. Check out my videos and let me know what you think!

I have recently started a youtube channel under my real name
Just went to youtube and subscribed to your channel, 3d, didn't watch the videos yet as I was just about to get off the computer. If the great help you gave me, in your first few threads about your 727M is any indication, of your informative videos, then I'll surely be watching. Happy Machining, JR49

I also watched two of your three videos early this morning and subscribed. I think you show real potential; your focus was very clear, your delivery seemed well done. I couldn't see much detail in your work; an additional camera might help with that, but that is not meant as criticism. I've never made a YouTube video that I would be proud enough to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve,
That is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. I am still playing with settings, field of view especially, on the GoPro that I am using. I am also looking into alternative mounting setups so that I can get closer to the cutting action when need be. I am trying to find that balance between showing the steps of a project, but not wasting airtime with repetitious operations or handle turning. I think the best thing I can do is show set-ups, operations, and processes. I know when I watch a video of someone else, I get bored watching the actual machining sometimes. As we all know, making the cut is the easy / quick part much of the time. The magic is in the setup / details.

I am brand new to this and have lots to learn. I am using Windows Movie Maker as it is free and does all that I need it to do. At some point, I would love to add a cool intro!

Thanks for watching, subscribing, and your feedback. It means a lot. I want to help others the same as I have been helped.

Enjoyed the video.
Not sure what it causing it, but the playback flickers at times. I know others use GoPro's so it is probably your video editing software.
Rendering video can be very sensitive to a bunch of things, the biggest is read/write speed from your hard drive. Running other applications that do a lot of read/write such as listening to music, watching movies, or running software like CAD programs that use a lot of virtual memory can interrupt the render. Many YouTubers use a dedicated SSD (internal drive because usb is slow) for video recording and rendering.

Pro-tip. The old bearing is the perfect size for pressing in the new bearing. Hit the inside with a rotary file to make it a tad bigger. 6 point sockets can damage the bearing or seal pretty easily since they tend to slide off center. 12 point sockets are better for this application. Those bearings went on easy, so not an issue here.

Enjoyed the video.
Not sure what it causing it, but the playback flickers at times. I know others use GoPro's so it is probably your video editing software.
Rendering video can be very sensitive to a bunch of things, the biggest is read/write speed from your hard drive. Running other applications that do a lot of read/write such as listening to music, watching movies, or running software like CAD programs that use a lot of virtual memory can interrupt the render. Many YouTubers use a dedicated SSD (internal drive because usb is slow) for video recording and rendering.

Pro-tip. The old bearing is the perfect size for pressing in the new bearing. Hit the inside with a rotary file to make it a tad bigger. 6 point sockets can damage the bearing or seal pretty easily since they tend to slide off center. 12 point sockets are better for this application. Those bearings went on easy, so not an issue here.

video thing looks a bit like interlaced video thats been converted to progressive with the field order set the wrong way round.

Stuart

As to the flickering, I don't know much at all really about video editing other than I am using Windows Movie Maker that came on my laptop. It does "process" the video clips when they are added to the project before you can do any editing which takes a while. Then once it is all edited, it then saves the video, which takes a long time as well. I was using my laptop for cruising around the net while it was saving and. I did have the browser quit responding twice while the video was saving. Maybe that is what is causing the flickering? I know it doesn't flicker when I am editing the clips so it surprised me as well when I watched the video on YouTube. Do you guys have any recommendations for other relatively low-cost editing software? And it looks like I need to leave things alone while the video is processing / saving.

Good tip about using the old bearings. The sockets were a good fit, though. There wasn't enough axial play between the socket and the shaft to let the socket wander around much at all. I did make sure to use a small brass hammer to avoid pounding on the bearings with anything too heavy.

I switched from MovieMaker to VideoPad by NCH Software. We've used their audio editing software for years at the office. Their free version will let you do editing, but will only allow you to export to video a couple of times. I believe the Pro edition was $70. When I'm working on videos I don't do anything else on the computer especially during the final stage of exporting the final video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back