PM 728 Mill- Issues and upgrades.

I keep meaning to post this. I made my first cuts in aluminum recently and I was very impressed!

1598751501554.png

The stock is 3/8" 6061. I used a 2 flute end mill and I did the slots as full thickness passes. The mill handled this easily. I am very pleased with this so far. This plate will be used to mount a small rotary table.
Robert

I was originally planning on selling my 727m once I got the Tormach, but it is nice to quick, one and done stuff on it, not to mention the ample work envelope. That Z Mod would sure sway me, I have had so many machine projects the last few months (projects FOR the machine) that I just want to get to real projects.

I hear you! Its crazy how much time I spend making tools instead of actual product!
Robert

I think ''public side'' means common.

Not sure what Forward Limit and Reverse Limit do. Just set it up on the bench and connect per the drawing one at a time and see what happens.

Reactions: rwm
Sorry. No progress. Life got in the way. I did acquire a Dell Optiplex case that could mount the electronics!
Robert

I have discovered that my DRO is not working correctly on the Y axis. I could not figure out why I was getting errors on this axis until I played around with it today. I am finding that my Y read head, which is mounted on a long steel arm has enough flex to vary by .007 inches. If you manually push on the read head, and watch the DRO it will deflect as expected. The problem is that it does not come back to zero! This creates an uncertain error of up to .007". I have checked all the mounting screws and everything is tight. This error has already unknowingly caused several problems (in retrospect- I initially thought I made a math error. Now I realize it was the DRO!) Is anyone else seeing this on their machines?

Robert

Last edited:
Back