PM-728VT Out of the box tram values

What was your observed variance in Y tram (head nod)

• .000" - I did a happy dance!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • >.000 " - .001"

• >.001" - .002"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >.002" - .003"

• >.003" - .004"

• >.004"

• Total voters

erixgix

Registered
Registered
With a number of PM-728VTs being delivered recently, lets see what y'all are seeing.

This model with its column bolts hidden makes it a bit tougher for those without an engine hoist / shop crane. But could now be an possible accessory to add to your list!

I saw under 0.001” (actually under 20microns in my mostly metric shop) in my Y variance. Was sure surprised by this. Mine is an older machine delivered early this year.
in fact, I was so concerned about not being able to tram the machine (Z axis screws are not accessible) that I bought a fixture plate to enable easy shimming. It turned out to not be needed for this purpose.
anyway 100% of my machining is done using fixture plate now. Can’t understand why few in the manual machining world are singing praises of this.

I saw under 0.001” (actually under 20microns in my mostly metric shop) in my Y variance. .....

Thanks for adding your finding and congrats on low number. Were you unable to tick a poll value?
You actually bring up a thought I've had that I did see someone else mention, if you normally use a vise, re-indicating from a vise vs the table is a good thing to do. I was thinking fixture plate, I am not terribly interested in playing with shims hanging off a crane and trying to support multiple pieces at one myself.
Thought it would be more popular a topic as I have seen in mentioned in folks talking about their 728's. Unfortunately polls can only go 7 days.

Thanks for adding your finding and congrats on low number. Were you unable to tick a poll value?
You actually bring up a thought I've had that I did see someone else mention, if you normally use a vise, re-indicating from a vise vs the table is a good thing to do. I was thinking fixture plate, I am not terribly interested in playing with shims hanging off a crane and trying to support multiple pieces at one myself.
Thought it would be more popular a topic as I have seen in mentioned in folks talking about their 728's. Unfortunately polls can only go 7 days.
Yes, I did tick a poll value. But I thought of responding to your post since the variations in Y axis tram are normal and expected in a production machine. I believe mine was low quite by accident considering the other response (I assume yours).

The tram issue in hobby mills is a solvable problem. Unfortunately it does cost some money to get a fixture plate. Also if you bought t-nuts, strap clamps etc for the T-slots, they are now likely useless. But the ease and speed of setting up each job makes the whole thing a pleasure instead of a chore. I've seen people never take off the vise from their mill as they are so scared of tramming the vise in.
In my case, I just had to do it once. It was painful but I can do a painful job once.

Back