PM-728VT spindle unhardened?

6061T6

Registered
Registered
I noticed that my PM 728VT spindle area developing a lot of scratches. I suspected that the spindle was unhardened so I took a file and lightly scraped the spindle area where the flats are and sure enough the file gripped the metal easily.

Did they make the spindle soft so that they could easily mill the flats to enable use of a wrench? Even so, it is rather disappointing that a mill sold as the best in its class for appears to not be hardened while even $300 HF mini lathes have hardened spindles.

I didn't check the inside of the spindle bore for hardness -- dont want to add any wear there.

Wow! ....that would really keep me awake at night!

I noticed that my PM 728VT spindle area developing a lot of scratches. I suspected that the spindle was unhardened so I took a file and lightly scraped the spindle area where the flats are and sure enough the file gripped the metal easily.

Did they make the spindle soft so that they could easily mill the flats to enable use of a wrench? Even so, it is rather disappointing that a mill sold as the best in its class for appears to not be hardened while even $300 HF mini lathes have hardened spindles.

I didn't check the inside of the spindle bore for hardness -- dont want to add any wear there.
Did you ever get this resolved?

Back