PM-833T x-axis backlash, oops?

macmccaskie

Registered
Registered
Not too long ago I tightened down the bolt anchoring the x-axis lead screw to cure the backlash. Welp, the backlash is back and I sorta think maybe I stripped the threads when I tightened that bolt. What's a good fix? I'm thinking maybe install a screw-sert. I'll need to order a kit but am not sure what size, is that bolt 8mm?

Erich
Ah, thanks for the diagram - leadscrew(49) is held in place by thingy(51). I think I stripped bolt(50) and thingy(51) is floating. Securing thingy(51) may be the only adjustment.

LOL, I'm sure "thingy(51)" has a real name, just don't know what.

50 is listed on the next page as screw: skt head, m8x20.

Not sure what skt head means, but it has the size at least!

Most likely "skt" is the German abbrieviation for "Sechskant", a hexagonal screw head. Not sure how this made its way into the documentation of Taiwanese mill.

Most likely "skt" is the German abbrieviation for "Sechskant", a hexagonal screw head. Not sure how this made its way into the documentation of Taiwanese mill.
My best guess is "socket" as in socket head cap screw, but it is a super weird abbreviation.

The above thread may help. #50 socket head cap screw secures the lead screw nut to the cast iron frame. The backlash adjustment screw is labeled "C" in the first post picture. I found inconsistencies between actual machine and part diagram. The backlash set screw was not drawn in the part diagram.

Okey-Doke, thanks Rhizome & Erich, now I don't have to tear it down to discover the bolt size. Does anyone think putting in a 10 mm screw a bad idea? Or should I do the screw-sert instead?

Update: Over the weekend I removed the table and discovered I had not stripped the threads. I replaced the screws with longer ones and torqued them done. I suspect the base of the threaded bracket was convex and gave me a stripped feeling the first time around. All is well.

Back