PM-833TV. The start of my journey….

Kev-in

Registered
Registered
This is my first time posting on Hobby-Machinist.

I’ve wanted a CNC mill for a long time, but thought using a CNC mill was too far out of my reach due to the complexity converting a manual mill and the learning of CAD/CAM software not to mention a lack of machinist training. I looked at my needs and wants and made the decision to purchase a PM-833TV. My goal is to convert my PM-833TV to CNC over the next few months.

Here's the start of my journey….

After waiting for a couple of months, my mill arrived at my drop point. When I arrived at the warehouse dock, you could clearly see that crate was severely damaged and that the fan shroud was really dinted. I called Precision Matthews and described the damage and they advised to take pictures and when I uncreate it to take more and send them the pictures. It was loaded into my truck and I headed home. I unloaded it with a skid steer into the shop. I have to admit, it wasn’t the great start I had envisioned to my journey.
Crate1.jpg

Crate2.jpg

Crate3.jpg

I took the crate apart and removed the plastic wrap. I now noticed that all 4 lag bolts holding the mill to the pallet were bent and no longer remotely holding the mill in place. The pallet was broken and somewhere along the way, they had placed the mill onto a second pallet. The mill was leaning backwards and the rear of the column had several rub marks from the crate. It was obvious that something shifted inside the trailer during transport and landed on top of the motor. I sent a detailed email outlining the damage and my concerns for issues I can’t see. The fan shroud and fan blade would definitely need to be replaced. I then lifted the mill off of the damaged pallet and set the mill down on a level pallet.
Fan shroud.jpg

833TV side view.jpg

833TV rear view.jpg

Precision Matthews then asked me to move the X, Y and Z through its full range of motion and to wire up the VFD and test to see if the motor runs. Everything moved smoothly, on the three axis, and I didn’t feel or see any damage to the ways. Precision Matthews said they would order a new fan shroud and fan blade which should take a couple of weeks to arrive. They assured me that the cast iron is tough and everything should be fine. I have to admit, I’m still concerned that there is damage I can’t see and won’t know until I get some test indicators on it.

I took this time to design up my stand and chip tray and start fabricating. The base is 46” wide, 30 deep and 34” high. It is all made out of 2 x 2 x 3/16 square tube, 2” x 2” x 1/4” angle iron for the mill to bolt too and various material for the levelling feet and tool chest support.
stand 1.jpg

stand 2.jpg

The chip tray was a piece of stainless-steel sheet (48” x 48”) that I had sitting around. The width of the tray determined the width of the stand in the end.

The levelling feet are made with steel pipe that needed to be cut down from a 3.25” ID to 3” ID to accommodate the puck diameter of 3”. I then welded on the top, the nuts, and ready rod on. The hockey pucks fit snugly inside the pipe and extend a 1/4” past the pipe edge. Hopefully this should keep the hockey pucks from deforming. Each foot has a jam nut to ensure they stay secure. Levelling the mill was very easy and quick.
level pad1.jpg

level pad2.jpg

level pad3.jpg

I thought about using wheels on the stand to move the mill. I opted to design the stand so that I could use a pallet jack to move it. This proved to be a really good decision, as the stand had clearance for the engine hoist to slide under neath the stand. This made lifting and lowering and positioning the mill onto the stand really easy for a one-person job. The pallet jack makes moving the mill very easy and safe and makes it easy to adjust the levelling feet.
hoist lift1.jpg

hoist lift2.jpg

As Precision Matthews doesn’t supply paint to repair the marks on the rear of the column, they offered to pay for the paint and Bondo used. My small local Home Hardware store managed to match the paint perfectly. Some prep work, Bondo, sanding and paint made it look as good as new.
833TV rear view paint.jpg

The tool chest sits on rubber pads.
833TV on stand.jpg

The replacement fan shroud and fan will arrive in a few days. Having to wait 6 weeks for them to arrive is a little disappointing. Overall, the customer service from Precision Matthews has been very positive and responsive.

Next steps:
Make and install two 7” wide panels on each side of the tool chest.
Wire up a 220 volt on/off switch as the VFD fan running will drive me nuts. I may also run a 115-volt 20-amp circuit too.
Finish cleaning the mill.
Test the spindle for accuracy
Insert the TTS Adapter Collet and test for accuracy
Check the head against table with my tramming tool.

I've been down this path myself. Always disappointing when the freight company makes a mess like this. I noted your last point on the "next steps" list, and would recommend you do more than just check tram to the table. Have a look at this video - it goes through the alignment checks I recommend.

I'll be interested to follow your progress towards CNC.

Just me, but I would have refused shipment on that machine. And trust me I've done it with damaged past machine purchases. Way too much fondling by others during the shipment process. You paid for a new machine and should have received a new machine.

Just me, but I would have refused shipment on that machine. And trust me I've done it with damaged past machine purchases. Way too much fondling by others during the shipment process. You paid for a new machine and should have received a new machine.
In hindsight I probably should have refused the shipment. I will be doing a lot of testing soon.

I have the 833VT and wish I picked something better I can't see this making a good CNC at all...

I have the 833VT and wish I picked something better I can't see this making a good CNC at all...
I am not sure about that statement. There have been quite a few that have been converted to CNC. Dr. D-Flo has done it along with a number of others. Is it an ideal machine? No, maybe not but the definition of "ideal" means different things to different people of course.
Ball screws are a must of course. Linear guide rails would also be ideal. So yes, by the time you put the everything into the 833 and make the ideal machine, one could have bought a used Haas or a new Tormach. But, there have been quite a few conversions of the 833 to CNC.

@Kev-in

You wrote: "I took the crate apart and removed the plastic wrap. I now noticed that all 4 lag bolts holding the mill to the pallet were bent and no longer remotely holding the mill in place. The pallet was broken and somewhere along the way, they had placed the mill onto a second pallet. The mill was leaning backwards and the rear of the column had several rub marks from the crate."

Having recently taken delivery of an 833TV I can offer a more complete picture. PM ships the mill on two pallets. A lower conventional one and an upper one with a solid deck and 4 cross beams. A file image of mine during uncrating is attached.

What is clear is that your machine broke loose inside the crate.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpeg
    IMG_1722.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 45
Hi AllenV,
I made the assumption it was placed on a second pallet, but it was difficult to determine due to the damage to the pallets. It definitely broke loose inside the crate. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

I’m happy yours arrived safe and sound.

Kevin

Back