PM 932M PDF

richz

Active User
Registered
I was running the spindle down feed and went to far. The spindle is stuck all the way down. I have the feed box off and the pinion shaft out and cannot get the spindle back up. HELP

Is there an alignment pin on the quill, and did it rotate out of a slot to keep it straight? I'm thinking something like a tail stock quill I had if I extended it too far the quill had a slot, and the key turned a bit it would not go back until all was aligned. I do not know your machine though....

I've had a tailstock quill extend too far and come off the screw that moves it in and out. had to push the quill back in and wind the screw back into it. I have the same mill but haven't used the PDF except to make sure it functioned.

When it got stuck, were you feeding manually with the fine feed wheel or with the power down feed? If you were using the power down feed, it should automatically kick out to whatever depth you have the depth collar set to & the quill will retract. If it doesn't automatically kick out, there's an angled button head pin that you need to replace (behind the quill handle assy for the depth collar ring). Mine arrived sheared off when I got my PM45-PDF (predecessor to the PM932).

As far as the quill stuck in the extended postion, no idea about that as it has never happened to me before. It's not like a tail stock as mentioned above as it doesn't have a leadscrew, it moves with a rack & pinion. Look up under the headstock at the rack & pinion to see if there's chips or something causing it to hang up. I doubt it but worth looking there first.

Then check rotation guide pin as Mike suggested above. The slot on the quill for the pin key may not be cut very cleanly so the pin could have jammed up against a high spot or stuck at the end of the slot where the slot tapers. If that's the cause the pin depth is adjustable, adjust as needed checking clearance throughout the entire range of quill travel & not just in one area.

Back