PM DRO Storing Multiple Tool Heights or Z Values?

Jason812

Registered
Registered
I have 12 parts to make that run 3 tools each. I was going to touch off the tools, leave them in the holders and change holders. I cannot figure out how to store separate Z values for different coordinates in the PM DRO. The SDM function will only let me change X & Y. Anybody have an suggestions other than touching the tools off and writing the value down for each one?

Sorry for the bad lighting, but this is the DRO I have.
PM833T DRO.jpg

I have Grizzly DRO that is 17 years old but is otherwise similar to yours. I can store all three axis values for each subdatum. I would think that not being able to store values for all axes is a serious deficiency. You might check your manual in the settings section to see if a parameter that can be changed.

How are you ensuring that your tool height doesn't change? I use the Tormach TTS system.

The instructions have the Z-Axis greyed out in the SDM section. It is a serious deficiency if I can't figure it out.

I'm relying on the R8 taper to set the chucks and ER40 holder in the same Z position. The tools are staying in their own holders similar to how a CNC machine holds tools. This is the first time I've had more than 2 or 3 parts to do so I figured I would give this a shot. If it works, I might have to get some more ER40 holders.

Looking at the manual for that DRO, it appears that it only stores SDM for X and Y. Not Z. The newer and more expensive MagXact models from PM are equivalent to the DROPros EL400 which will store all three axis.

Looking at the manual for that DRO, it appears that it only stores SDM for X and Y. Not Z. The newer and more expensive MagXact models from PM are equivalent to the DROPros EL400 which will store all three axis.
That's what I figured from playing with the DRO and reading the instructions. Guess a new display is in my future.

I looked at the manual as well and it doesn't appear to have the ability to set the z axis coordinate when in the SDM mode. Have you tried both methods for entering coordinates?

If no luck, I would contact PM. IMO, this is a serious deficiency. More than likely a software update, if available, could enable that function.

Failing that, you could possibly replace the display with one from a different manufacturer as the scales seem to be common to a number of brands.

There may be a work around. It is based on the fact that a change in the ABS coordinates will change all the SDM coordinates. If you are using a tool setter, physically make contact with the tool setter using whatever reference you wish and set your ABS zero. Now move to your work surface zero point and set zero in for all the SDM points you intend to use.

If you now load a tool and go back to the tool set position and physically zero it, the reading will be your offset for that tool. If you zero the ABS z axis, you will have shifted the all the SDM z coordinates as well. Go to the SDM point for that tool and it will be correctly compensated for your work. Should you require more than one SDM point for that tool just designate them.

You will still have to record the values for setting the offsets but this isn't too difficult. With the recorded value in front of you, move the z position to that value and zero the axis, eliminating the need to enter number from the keypad and possible errors due to mis-entry.

You will like the ER collet system. I bought it with my Tormach CNC in 2011 and quickly adapted it to my mill/drill as well.

The newest of new DRO’s from PM are the same as the DroPros EL750. I upgraded my order last week.

I just zeroed the drill and wrote the difference down for the endmill. Actually all 3 z steps for the endmill. It worked but would have been easier to just go 0.125, 0.250, and 0.375. The centerdrill I just winged. I'll play with this some more and contact PM to see if there's a firmware update for the display.

I think I'm going to like the ER40 system. The collet block and roller nut made changing parts easy. I still need to setup the lathe chuck.

parts were 4140. 1.5" turned down to 1.080" with a 20 degree taper. 28mm collet held them just fine.
20210718_155440.jpg
20210718_194505.jpg

Last edited:
Back