PM ER40 collet chuck with D1-5 backplate: collet back wrench

mcdanlj

Registered
Registered
I am very happy with my PM ER40 collet chuck with D1-5 backplate. It is a great fit on my G0709 lathe, and I was able to tap it in until the needle barely moves on my tenths indicator on the taper. The screw threads are smooth.

However, I don't have a spindle lock, and tightening the collet nut is a pain, even if I put the lathe in a low gear. The best I could do was to use the camlok wrench to hold the spindle nose while tightening the nut, and I didn't like doing that. The collet has 3 evenly-spaced 8mm holes in the top, centered 11mm out from the backplate, so I now have a 3D-printed wrench that seems to be working well. I used a bit of 8mm linear rod scrap as a locating pin but if I didn't have that could of course have turned down a piece of steel instead; I have a lathe after all! ☺

Pictures and more story in my build thread at

Files including realthunder FreeCAD files at:

If this breaks, I'll probably use my horizontal table to make an aluminum wrench instead, but sometimes 3D-printed pieces are stronger than you expect; after years I'm still using my old "prototype" vice speed handle at my mill so this might last for a while. We'll see!

I have a Shars ER40 collet chuck that is a bit worse than yours. The runout is setable with the use of screws, as yours is, but Shars did not drill the chuck and make any auxiliary holes. This is a problem since I have a threaded backplate. Loosening the ER40 collet nut is very difficult.

I will drill the steel chuck outer circumference sometime with three holes. The wrench on the chuck body will be a steel tommy bar inserted in the hole. I have that setup for my mini-lathe's ER32 chuck and it works well. The tommy bar, which I made longer than the ER32 wrench, helps you get the right torque on the nut.

When I was looking, PM didn't sell the chuck separate from the mounting system. I have a 1-3/4" x 8 TPI spindle. I ended up machining my own backplate from a slug of cast iron. Since I made it, it was true to my lathe. Never made a backplate before, was an interesting experience.
Glad I did it, learned quite a bit. The Shars chuck was also true, so I just bolted it up and made minimal adjustments. Think I paid $130 with shipping. Had to exchange the chuck though, since the ER40 taper wasn't ground properly. Sent them pictures and Shars sent me a new chuck right away.

Back