PM1127 - hard to pull back on the tailstock quil

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have a PM1127 that I haven't used in awhile and used it today. For some reason, the tailstock quill goes out very easy, but when I turn the wheel the other way, it is incredibly hard. I looked inside the hole and I don't see anything unusual.

has anyone had this problem before? I lubed up everything and it's still the same. I'm not sure why it's only hard to pull back on the quill, but it's normal when going the other way.

is it the quill or the wheel and screw that are hard to turn?

I ask because the screw pushes against the back of the tailstock when going out (I don't know your machine so it could be a nut), but it pulls against it when pulling it back in. so is the nut lubed on both sides.
can you take the quill out and take a look inside?

feel if there are any burrs on the quill or down the bore. throw oil in there, reassemble Do you have too much oil in behind the quill? Causing it to hydraulically lock up?

Could be the quill lock is free in one direction and dragging in the other causing a binding.

It was fine when I used it, but extended it too much and had to put it back in and thats' when I started having problems. I've taken it out a few times to see what's going on in there and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I'll check the quill lock

It was fine when I used it, but extended it too much and had to put it back in and thats' when I started having problems. I've taken it out a few times to see what's going on in there and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I'll check the quill lock
so you don't think you crossthreaded the quill do you?
did you look into the threaded part of the quill.

Can you remove the screw and examine it, and find out if you can push the quill in easily on its own?

can you thread the screw outside the TS into the quill?

Try to isolate the issue.

Ok, so I took off the quill lock and the quill itself...

and was doing it still

I removed the nut that holds the hand wheel, and tried to remove the locking ring that has set screw, but no luck

I sprayed it with WD-40 and found out that if I play with the graduation ring by turning it back and forth, I can get the handwheel back to normal. I just have to find the sweet spot on the graduation ring. I dunno what's going on here.

I'll try to take it apart again tomorrow.

Holly Molley, first member on here besides me I've seen from Las Vegas... I would call PM and ask, bet they would have your answer in 2 seconds...
Nice machine you got there, I'm sure you get that figured out licety-split.

Back