PM30MV Head Tilt Lock

jbrown97019

Registered
Registered
I've recently purchased a PM 30 MV mill new from PM, and have begun the de-chinesium process, and have noted that contra the manual, my mill doesn't have the head tilt lock that is used in conjunction with the 3 head mounting bolts and (per the manual), locks the head in the vicinity of the vertical and horizontal positions. My question to those with PM mills, how important has this feature been to you, and do I need to raise a fuss over it's absence on my mill?

Thanks!

P.S. To those who've made the point that this hobby is a potentially bottomless money pit, perhaps moreso than even a boat, thou art correct.

Reactions: Z2V
A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

Re: the head lock, I would certainly call about it. It may be that they were discontinued. But who knows. I have similar detents on various woodworking machines and find them to be a nuisance when I am trying to set an angle close to the detent. They can be a time saver if proper tram isn't required but personally, I would always check tram after changing the head angle.

To hijack my own question, my quill travel is 2.8" vice the advertised 3" value, and my x travel is a couple inches low. Also, there was Weiss literature packed in. I know (at least I think I know) that PM previously sold this in the Weiss form, but this surprised me. Can anyone else with PM30s compare their travel measurements for comparison purposes? Thanks!

Further, I don't want to seem too much like a Debbie Downer, I like the mill a lot, just had a few points of curiosity/concern.

I'll watch this closely, I am about to throw down the klinko's for a PM30 Mill and I'd like to hear the end result.

the de-chinesium process

Have you ever wondered what that smelly thin oil is that they coat all their stuff with? It smells weird and my wife always wonders whether I'll get cancer from it, lol.

Have you ever wondered what that smelly thin oil is that they coat all their stuff with? It smells weird and my wife always wonders whether I'll get cancer from it, lol.
I'm not sure, but Harbor Freight must buy it by the tanker load.

A quick check of my PM30mv shows 2.825" of travel according to the quill DRO. Didn't check X travel as I have a power feed on the X which shortens the travel. Mine does not have a head tilt lock. Don't recall any mention of " Weiss" in the manual.

I've never tilted the head on my PM30MV, and don't imagine I ever will. The only time I've ever messed with head tilt is when tramming the head. I don't have a head tilt lock on my PM30MV, and don't remember the manual talking about one either.

Steve

Back