PM727M DILEMMA

Yes, but there is less movement, the top clamp moves about .003 and the bottom clamp will move it .015.

Well just got done shimming it, took awhile, but the results are not good to say the least. After a .011 shim the fit to the column is really tight, so tigh its alittle hard to move. The "feel" is better, but i when the clamps are tightened the head moves .015 instead of .025 like before. I also have to turn the clamps a good bit to tighten, same as before maybe slightly less.

Significant drag on the axis happening at the same time as a lot of slop that can be taken up by the clamping screws sounds like a bent gib to me. Have you checked it for straightness? Put it on a surface plate (or even the milling table) and see if it rocks back and forth, makes different sounds when you tap it, or you can see light under it.

None of this should prevent you from using the mill, however. Just lock the Z axis when cutting or indicating...

Well after a few more emails to Matt and videos, Matt has offered me a few options. I choose to just get a new column and backplate. I applaud PM for his willingness to stand by his products and make the situation right. It will take some time for the new column to arrive but atleast i know the issue will be fixed.

Just a update on the new column and backplate, still waiting for its arrival. I hope it soon gets here. It’s been since October with a 2 to 3 month wait. I’m on month 4 soon to be month 5. I don’t doubt that all this COVID mess has something to do with it.

Back