PM728VT base cabinet modifications

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
After watching 55fairlanes saga i also have a PM728VT with less problems, but i would like to make as accurate as possible.

Sounds like this base cabinet needs
1) filled with some concrete.
2) new top surface to bolt too

I can do #1. #2 what do people recommend?

Steel/Alum plate to span the entire bolting area? I don't have a machine bit enough to make it flat or parallel.
Concrete re-enforced with metal? probably to fragile
Epoxy granite that i have seen other people mix together (looks expensive) and pour into a mold. Could embed bolts in it to mount the mill to.
Granite drops from a counter top supplier?

Any other ideas i can set my mill on top of after filling the base with concrete?

Thanks!
Chad

I used some cast aluminum (salvaged ) , cast aluminum plate is "cheap" as compared to extruded aluminum plate.
There is no need to surface the aluminum plates, your cabinet & chip pan are textured powder coat.
I also to 1x1x2 steal blocks, tapped them . These will become "t nuts" to hold the machine to the cabinet. Not pictured are the ¼ inch thick washers I made to go on top of the machine.
This set up will provide more surface to spread the load out on, more rigidity, the nuts being captured will allow me to tighten up the bolts with just one tool. This sep up should keep the bolts from being over torqued (and pulling /distorting) the cabinet or machine base to an out of square condition. How ever I will be using a torque wrench.
Before I post pictures, my replacement machine is here in town and I should take possession of it tomorrow morning
Resized_Resized_20240130_154825.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_155000.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_154904.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_150021.jpeg

As far as concrete in the base goes, go get a few bags of sand. I added a couple hundred pounds of lead I had laying around & a few bags of sand. We will see how this works out

Back