PM728VT quill scale

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
Hello, well i got my PM mill and it came with the magnetic MagXact scales that are re-branded Electronica S1 scales.

I ordered the TouchDRO Adapter with Option A.

Now if i want to use the fourth channel of the TouchDRO adapter for the quill. Do i have to get a magnetic scale like my MagXact for quill? Or can i re-pin the 4th channel and add a different scale type?

I have not seen where in TouchDRO you change things for each scale type. Is it pinout only? Or a chance in the MCU code?

Thanks!
Chad

Hello, well i got my PM mill and it came with the magnetic MagXact scales that are re-branded Electronica S1 scales.

I ordered the TouchDRO Adapter with Option A.

Now if i want to use the fourth channel of the TouchDRO adapter for the quill. Do i have to get a magnetic scale like my MagXact for quill? Or can i re-pin the 4th channel and add a different scale type?

I have not seen where in TouchDRO you change things for each scale type. Is it pinout only? Or a chance in the MCU code?

Thanks!
Chad
Hi Chad,
As long as it's a quadrature scale (optical or magnetic), you just need to change the pinout.
That said, EMS MagnaSlim is probably the best option for the quill anyway (which uses the same pinout).

I have this on my old mill (with an LMS magnetic scale). The setup is very repeatable, but I would not use this scale (just haven't had time to replace it since finding out that it has +/-0.007" of cyclic eror every 5mm).

20240104_071612.jpg

Regards
Yuriy

There can be a resolution and accuracy issue with some scales, and as Yuri has previous indicated as well as others that although many of the magnetic scales have high resolution, when you map out the variation over the length of travel there is a much higher error rate. This has been previously noted for the Ditron magnetic scales, as well as some of the generic brands. Most likely this is a function of the resolution of the magnetic strip. Electronica scales (tend to be much better), and even some of the capacitive types. On my knee mill I have a 4 axis system with the Electronica scales and sum my knee and quill. On my lathe tailstock I also added a magnetic scale from SRA (UK-DRO) and it has been very accurate. The magnetic head is fixed and the scale is captured at one end the other ends slides through a guide. You could do something similar.
1704394349052.jpeg

Back