(PROBLEM SOLVED) PM940 CNC VFD spindle question

Dave,

sounds like you guys are on the right track. Very possible the breaker could be malfunctioning or something further upstream is prevent power to the breaker.

-Mike

Mike,
I hope so. There are no components between this QM breaker and the incoming power switch so, unless Rod has made a measurement error, there is nothing besides it or broken wire(s) between it and the VFD.

Dave

(PROBLEM SOLVED)
Dave (B2) was right. the problem was the QM breaker. Even though I initially reset it a few times to no avail, I tried resetting it again with Daves insistence. Voila! the VFD turned on normally. I'm now back in business thanks to the membership. Thank you Dave and everybody that chimed in with their help. I hope to be a useful part of the membership in the future.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all!

Rod In San Francisco

Hi Rod,

Veryt happy for you.. and to have been of some help. Pay it forward!

By the way, I do not know too many people who have a PM 940M CNC that is still configured as such. Yours is one. Mine is also, except that I moved the electronics cabinet off the back to the side so that I could access it from the front.

So I have had a nuisance problem from day one and I am wondering if you have observe the same thing?

If I do not lock the z-axis way clamps when I power down, so the z-axis stepper does not have power, the head will slowly creep downward due to its weight. (I figure it weights over 250 lbs.) The cogging of the stepper motor is suppose to hold it in position, but it does not always work this way as the stepper is not large enough. Hence, the z-axis location calibration will be lost... not to mention crashing the tool into the table or work. If I tighten up the z-axis way clamps this creep will not happen, but I have to remember to tightening the clamps before shutting off the power. Also, if I just have a power failure during a run or something then all is lost. If I tighten the ways themselves most of the falling creep will vanish, but I have to regularly do this. When I first observed this it was not too bad, but soon got worst. At that time I also noticed that when I run the head up and down in a milling operation, like drilling, it could slowly loose position and be lower than it was suppose to be.

Have you ever observed or had this problem?

One way to observe this is to simply turn the power off and then tap the head with your hand a few times and watch to see if the distance to the head decreases. When the ways are too loose and the power is shut off you can actually hear it falling as it causes the stepper to cog and the mill to vibrate a bit. Another way is to set the Mach3 z axis zero at some reference surface, like a precision block, and then move the head up and run it up and down a bunch of times followed by measuring the distance to the reference surface to see if is still at the Mach3 zero. I have a 1 inch precision steel block that I set the z-axis zero to. I then remove the block and exercise the z-axis. I then put the Mill position back to z=0 and see if I can slide the precision steel block back into position. It commonly will not fit!

Good luck with your milling.

Dave

Back