Poor man’s machine footings

I was pretty close to ground zero when the '94 Northridge earthquake hit.
My 15" lathe walked a few inches through the garage door.
It was leveled on bolt heads without pads though.

Have you ever thought about using hockey pucks as feet? They work great and are very cheap.

At the risk of hijacking this thread a bit, did you use that bottle jack to hoist the machines up?

Been considering adding levelling feet to my bridgeport and 14x40, but do not have a hoist and the prospect of using wedges is a bit daunting considering the 3" or so the machine has to be raised.

think i’ll use it like this for a while and see what happens.
You May be right about walking.

The same approach was used on my lathe weighing 1200 lbs and having 8 feet.
My carriage bolts are threaded into the stand but your way should work well too.
The bolt head sits on a washer which sits on a soft aluminum shim for traction on the floor.
The aluminum shim also serves as a feeler gauge to feel tension on the feet.
The aluminum shims are slightly larger than the washers. They are circled with a sharpie so any walking would be easy to detect.
Since the cement floor is very stable I did not want anything soft in the system like a hockey puck or tar paper.
It has proven to be practical. No walking whatsoever after several years of service.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Nice lathe!
Company I worked for made "coned valve disks" rubber bonded to a coned piece of metal. I would gather up defective ones every once in a while and I use those. I like to anchor my lathes to the floor for rigidity but sadly the flimsy cabinet doesn't help. My dad had a 60" Tuda that we couldn't get the chatter out of with it bolted to a 10" concrete floor. Cut and dug the floor up and poured 22 yards of concrete in the hole and bolted the lathe to that, worked pretty good after that.

A Tuda!
I had a 15X42 which was a wonderful machine.
It had leveling screws in the cast iron base and walked through the garage door in the 94 Northridge quake.

I did hockey puck feet for my PM932. The 932 has four feet and weighs 1100 lbs. Been a year and they still look like new. I milled out part of the center to inset a 3/8" thick washer/plate.

Attachments

• PM-932 leveling feet.jpg
    PM-932 leveling feet.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 25
Back