Poor man's tooling board?

I found my local plastic supplier *giving away* drops of 2" thick Delrin that come out of regular commercial jobs they do. It's in odd shapes but in 5-10# chunks. More regular shapes (of all different materials) they sell of once a month in a remnant sale for a couple bucks a pound. I suggest looking in your area for a similar supplier.

I found my local plastic supplier *giving away* drops of 2" thick Delrin that come out of regular commercial jobs they do. It's in odd shapes but in 5-10# chunks. More regular shapes (of all different materials) they sell of once a month in a remnant sale for a couple bucks a pound. I suggest looking in your area for a similar supplier.
I need to find a place like that here in Ocala!! I bought a few boxes on eBay, last year. Very inexpensive. But I went last week to buy some more and the prices are ridiculous…

Plastiblocks was previously a forum sponsor:
https://www.plastiblocks.com/

I have never used them.

Brian
That looks like a pretty good source for plastic blocks. I guess I'd want the HDPE. Maybe I'll buy a chunk and try it.
Price wise, it's only a little cheaper by volume than the Renshape type stuff, but the advantage is these guys will sell small cuts/quantities.

That looks like a pretty good source for plastic blocks. I guess I'd want the HDPE. Maybe I'll buy a chunk and try it.
Price wise, it's only a little cheaper by volume than the Renshape type stuff, but the advantage is these guys will sell small cuts/quantities.
I know the price of the Renshape type tooling boards is tough to stomach but nothing comes close to being as good.

The Renshape type tooling boards are quasi isotropic (similar characteristics in all directions) MDF is a very distant second in terms of finished quality and MDF does have some kind of layering which is difficult to see, but it certainly snaps easier in the Z direction.

I wish you were local I would give you a good supply of the tooling board.

Back