Porta Power Ram Reseal (Rant)

In my experience, around 1980 all hydraulic jack manufacturing went to china. all north American manufacturers closed up shop. or have the units made in china and rebranded. In china a requirement for size and lifting capacity is met but the units may change slightly from factory to factory, so repair parts won't fit. That's why they are sold by the pound. when imported. Also a big shop overhead can be around $500 per hour and every sales man/ mechanic has to sell $120 per hour. So an old jack with low tonnage is scrap.

This Porta Power is maybe 30 years old, and I had bought it new when I was still in my own automotive business, so it isn't a cheap unit. Also, if you would have read my rant, I wasn't looking for anyone to rebuild the ram as I was looking for the seal and the pad that goes under it. I did order them, and the total cost was around $40.00. It may be true that these parts may be made some where now days but the company that sold them to me were willing to pull and ship them to me and that I appreciated.

Can I get the information on where you found the seals?

Thanks

I went through this with an Astro branded porto power. I've had it at LEAST 30 years and it served me well. I retire, and it breaks! Tried finding seals, contacted astro ( they were nice but no help). Got online and found a lot of places with seals but nothing identical Finally gave up and just bought a cheap a$$ china unit and said I'm done. I'm retired now anyway and won't use it more than twice a year but when you get USED to having one, it's hard to do without! Mike

I still have my Blackhawk Porta-Power which I purchased from my Mac Tolls man. Same kind of story. I purchased it when I had an auto repair. It is a high quality unit IN MY OPINION. Hopefully, my unit doesn't start leaking.

Didn't jump back in here for a while but got the parts and put the ram back together and seems to be not leaking at this time. It's a bit cold and snowy out so will have to wait till spring to try to use it on something heavy to move. The only thing I did find was that the new seal seems to be made with different material than the old one. Don't know for sure if that will be a good or bad thing because I may not see the unit in operation in another 30 years.

Back