POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

JLCPCB offer 20 layer boards. My head hurts thinking about designing for 20 layers. So far 2 layers does everything that I have needed.
A lot of the vendors I work with will do 20+ layers. There are very few applications where that's needed. A LOT can be done on 4 or 6 layer boards.
It's not hard to route on boards with multiple layers. If you plan a head just a bit, it can really speed things up. Use one inner layer for traces going 'up' and 'down' and one more for traces going 'left' to 'right', and the layout gets easy really fast.

The biggest problem/challenge for new circuit board designers is understanding how the circuit trace and component layout affects the circuit performance. How you route a trace and exactly where you place components can have a huge effect on the board performance. Part of that is knowing what signals are flowing on what traces. Using ground and power planes helps a lot, but also paying attention to capacitive coupling, inductance of traces, and isolating parts of ground planes to contain switching power or analog circuits can make a huge difference.

What I really like about these quick turn board houses is being able to build a circuit, order a board, and then test everything. Circuit boards have gotten cheap and arrive fast enough I rarely prototype anything anymore. With the above circuit performance issues, you avoid all that junk that a breadboard can add to the circuit.

Of course none of this matters for most hobby stuff...

Last few day i've been going less in the gym more in the garage i've carried out probable 3-4 metric tons of garbage and steel parts. Little by little i managed to get to the other wall, empty out the big shelf and get the bikes out. One suprase was that i've forgotten that i've painted the small bike, it took me a solid hour to remember that i took it completely apart striped it to clean steel and changed the color to metallic blue. It not even put together completely, I'm getting excited to fire up the italian cagiva to hear that 2 stroke sound at 11000 rpm.
IMG_20240123_203725.jpgIMG_20240124_194447.jpgIMG_20240126_202112.jpgIMG_20240127_121236.jpgIMG_20240127_191216.jpgIMG_20240127_191928.jpg

Last few day i've been going less in the gym more in the garage i've carried out probable 3-4 metric tons of garbage and steel parts. Little by little i managed to get to the other wall, empty out the big shelf and get the bikes out. One suprase was that i've forgotten that i've painted the small bike, it took me a solid hour to remember that i took it completely apart striped it to clean steel and changed the color to metallic blue. It not even put together completely, I'm getting excited to fire up the italian cagiva to hear that 2 stroke sound at 11000 rpm.
View attachment 490202View attachment 490203View attachment 490204View attachment 490205View attachment 490206View attachment 490207
Nice, was wondering what that bike was back there. You'll have to post a video once you get it running so we can hear it scream....

John

Back