POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

A friend of mine has a 1940s Oldsmobile project going on with some water pump compatibility problems. He bought a new pump, doesn't fit but wants to use the internals. He asked to have the old housing modified to match the new one. The setup was what took the longest to figure out, but I eventually came up with a pretty stable solution.

View attachment 489077View attachment 489078
Admire your perseverance; setup/fixturing usually takes longer than the actual work.

Could you use this setup to "map" the existing hole locations using your DRO and then replicate in the new housing?

"Could you use this setup to "map" the existing hole locations using your DRO and then replicate in the new housing?

In this case no since the hole locations correspond with bosses in the casting that just aren't there on the newer version.

It wasn't a POTD; actually winter/spring 2024, but I'm officially calling "Woodfest 2024" complete! Our house has a "pump and dump" geothermal furnace (and a 125K BTU propane backup furnace). The house has fireplaces in the main-floor living room and in the finished basement. The fireplaces on their own raise the house temp around 30 F from the outside temp. As long as I feel up to it (it's getting tougher every year as I'm about to go on Medicare), I cut 7-8 full cords a year to supplement our heating. "No live trees" were cut down during this endeavor; we had some limited foresting done 18 months ago of mostly hard maple. I'm still cutting up those tops. Also, our county drain commission hired an excavation company 2 years ago to clean the deadfall out of the river to reduce flooding upstream. The contractor set 50+ maples and ash right off our river trail for easy pickings.

I've been at this for the last 30+ years and have it almost down to a science. My Stihl 291 saw gets a sharp chain every time I go out to cut which is around 30 tanks of fuel through the saw for our ~7 months of burning. I usually start cutting after Thanksgiving so I'm not messing up the firearm deer season, but I'll take advantage of a few cool, dry mornings in the summer and run a tank through the saw. Yet another benefit of retirement is that everyday is a Saturday!

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Pole barn has 8+ full cords. Full disclosure is the 2nd rack going left to right was done last year; all of the rest was done this year.
20240505_101945.jpg

Another full cord in our garage
20240505_102252.jpg

Another 2+ face cord under our back deck for the basement fireplace
20240505_102344.jpg

don't you worry about powder post beetles? I don't store my wood next to the house or garage. A friend did even after I asked and found out that they had migrated to the house and furniture. Even though I asked him, I was still surprised. He wasn't worried until he had to start attacking them in the house. Fortunately, no kids , no pets, so the exterminator was able to take more aggressive steps as they left for each treatment.

Done nothing with the tools, but we did manage to cut down some fallen treesIMG_5155.jpeg

No one ever gets fat heating with firewood Bruce!

Got the new mill moved into the new garage by around lunchtime today. Wasn’t really all that hard, my friend Bob who I bought it off knew what he was doing and the drop deck trailer + 5k pallet jack made life pretty easy. Won’t have time to do anything to it until I come back with my family at the end of JuneIMG_3031.jpegIMG_3032.jpegIMG_3033.jpegIMG_3034.jpeg

Back