Powdered metal taps

shell70634

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I broke a tap last night. Just carbon steel and well used. While searching for HSS replacements I saw the powdered metal taps. Are they better? Worth the money? I don’t mind extra expense if it’s money well spent.

It really depends on the specific task. I use powdered metal taps in some cases, mostly for machine tapping, other cases I use HSS. For general use, I find that a spiral point HSS tap to be the best option. There are a lot of styles of taps, they all have their use. I stay away from the corner hardware store taps, for the most part they are junk.

I ordered HSS American made spiral taps and it was like tapping butter! I ordered a few more common sizes and have assigned the carbon steel taps to plastic and aluminum duty.

I have a few - haven't really noticed any difference in longevity between those and regular HSS. I did chip the tips of a really nice spiral flute 7/16-20 tap trying to increase the threaded length of my R8 drill chuck arbor. Bleh. But I also drill tapped about 100 10-32 holes in steel without any noticeable affect on tap sharpness. As long as you don't abuse them taps generally last along time*

*statement may not apply to work hardening metals like *cough*304 stainless*hack*splutter*

I think it was @DavidR8 or maybe @darkzero that mentioned them for the first I've heard of them...I as well am wanting a set. By the price, I will probably buy them as needed, but they sound like the way to go with stainless, my nemesis.

Back