Power Down Feed Drilling with the PM45M-PDF

Nothing much to see but I have heard at times where people say they would rarely have a use for power down feed. I guess it depends on what needs to be made. Just wanted to show how simple the power down feed makes drilling when you have to drill a lot of holes.

I have been making a little tool here & there in the past few months. So far I've drilled & tapped well over 400 holes on these things. The power down feed saves a bit of time but the Tapmatic is what was the lifesaver. The first 40 holes I tapped by hand & it sucked!

Sorry for the boring video, my first time I ever made one. This was at the start of drilling & tapping 180 blind holes. With the Tapmatic it took me only a few hours to finish them all where as the time I was tapping 40 blind holes by hand took me almost all day.

[video=youtube;kGhr9S1x9xY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGhr9S1x9xY&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3W-jz07KIa2yoSot1x1qDQ[/video]

Nice video. I don't recall using power feed to drill holes. I like to feel how the drill was cutting. Some of old machines I used it didn't work anyway. I used power feed for boring.

I did use power feed on radial arm drill press and power taping as well.

Very interesting. Do you use your tapmatic head on the mill with the power down feed? Now that is something I could see being very useful for me if that would work. I tap a ton of holes in titanium when making folding knives, anything to make that go more smoothly is a huge plus.

Thanks,
Sean

Oh one more thing. Is that the vise that comes in the kit he sells?

Sean

Very interesting. Do you use your tapmatic head on the mill with the power down feed? Now that is something I could see being very useful for me if that would work. I tap a ton of holes in titanium when making folding knives, anything to make that go more smoothly is a huge plus.

Thanks,
Sean

I don't use the power down feed with my Tapmatic head. The rates of travel of the power down feed is too slow to keep up with a tapping head & the rate of travel also varies depending on thread pitch. I just pull down on the quill by hand.

Oh one more thing. Is that the vise that comes in the kit he sells?

Sean

As Stonebriar stated, that vise shown is from Glacern, 5", which IMO is the appropriate max size for a RF-45. Some people actually prefer a 4" but not me.

This is the vise included with the "kit" is 4", supplied with swivel base, on bottom:

Img_6135.jpg

Back