Power drawbar, cheap!

Livnpaintball

Registered
Registered
Thanks to Amazon and a $20 butterfly impact I now have a functional power drawbar! After looking a a few other designs I came up with my redneck version. It’s simple and works well, I also created a captive nut to keep the drawbar from raising up.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7664.jpeg
    IMG_7664.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 173
Looks like a great job, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting! It's been on my "list of good intentions" for 20 years! I have sticking a 7" riser block on my Bridgeport in the queue; that'll put the drawbar near the limit of my reach (without a stool). I'm assuming you have remote switches for tight/loosen and manually pull the impact down to engage?

Bruce

I would love to add a riser to my Bridgeport but, it won’t happen until I stop moving shop every few months. My heart still races every time I have to roll it on or off the lift gate, Im sure not going to make it taller now!

Thanks for posting! It's been on my "list of good intentions" for 20 years! I have sticking a 7" riser block on my Bridgeport in the queue; that'll put the drawbar near the limit of my reach (without a stool). I'm assuming you have remote switches for tight/loosen and manually pull the impact down to engage?

Bruce
It has been on my list since I started this project 3 years ago. It’s manual pull down and I use my thumb to actuate the butterfly on the impact. I may add a handle to it later but for now she is good! Thanks!

Your design looks good. Do you have any trouble with your bearings binding? I build a similar one and added a lever on the butterfly to pull down on. In my original design I encountered binding and needed to add a second level with bearings underneath to improve the situation (make the effective bearing length greater than half the lever arm length).

Attachments

• IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 75
Your design looks good. Do you have any trouble with your bearings binding? I build a similar one and added a lever on the butterfly to pull down on. In my original design I encountered binding and needed to add a second level with bearings underneath to improve the situation (make the effective bearing length greater than half the lever arm length).
You did a nice job on yours! I didn’t use any bearings, just oversized holes. No binding that I have noticed, I was worried if I do add an arm it may promote binding.

Back