Power feed for Sherline lathe, suggestions for enclosure of controls.

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I've been using the Sherline power feed, now discontinued, for some time and have decided to upgrade to a reversible variable speed gear motor like some others on this forum have done (Mikey!) I bought the gearmotor, power supply, and motor controller off ebay. I will have no problem mounting the motor, but I need advice on some sort of enclosure or enclosures to mount the power supply and motor controller, and switches.

The power supply and motor controller each measure about 4" x 3" x 1 1/4" . Maybe they should be in the same enclosure, or maybe they should be mounted in different boxes. The motor controller has an external potentiometer for speed control and an external rocker switch for forward reverse control They could be located in a separate enclosure. Maybe mount the electronics some distance away and mount the switches up front and handy?

I have bench tested the items and find that it all works and would give me a much wider range of feeds than the Sherline rotisserie motor.

Suggestions on the layout for mounting the electronics is solicited. Thanks

Attachments

• gearmotor.jpg
    gearmotor.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 9
  • 24v power supply.jpg
    24v power supply.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 8
  • motor controller.jpg
    motor controller.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 9
One of our electronics gurus should be along soon. Personally, I am worthless for that sort of thing. My DC controller is one of those that is already in an OEM box so it was simple to mount.

This is really useful mod for the Sherline lathe.

Back