Powering up you anvil

George, why is there a chain around the big anvil? It it to help stop the ringing?

Yes. The chain goes to bolts that go through eye bolts driven into tight holes in the stump. When the chains are snugged down,it makes the anvil only go "clack" so it doesn't make you deaf.

This does not work with all anvils. It depends upon how they were made. This method is illustrated in Diderot's 18th. C. encyclopedia. Their anvils certainly would have been wrought iron with a steel top forge welded on. My anvil is solid tool steel.

Some anvils require to have inner tubes wrapped around their waists. Might also depend upon the shape of the anvil

Yes. The chain goes to bolts that go through eye bolts driven into tight holes in the stump. When the chains are snugged down,it makes the anvil only go "clack" so it doesn't make you deaf.

This does not work with all anvils. It depends upon how they were made. This method is illustrated in Diderot's 18th. C. encyclopedia. Their anvils certainly would have been wrought iron with a steel top forge welded on. My anvil is solis tool steel.

Some anvils require to have inner tubes wrapped around their waists. Might also depend upon the shape of the anvil

Interesting. I was really hoping it wasn't to keep someone from walking off with it - 'cause no one would want to try to stop that guy!

I was going to ask if the chain was for security, but you already answered me!

Back a number of years ago when it was first done in this area they told the story that the blacksmiths used it to warn other towns of indian's attacking the town LMAO!! Slow indian's or fast blacksmiths.

I would not put much stock in that tale!!!:) Some nut made it up,no doubt.

And, I suppose the anvils falling down squashed some indians,saving the town?

Back