[Newbie] Powr-Kraft 84TLC-2136 Spindle Bearing.

anisb3l

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I'm restoring my Powr-Kraft lathe, kinda Logan lathe, anyways i'm going to replace the bearings on the spindle.
Product Description
Ball Bearing, Snap Ring
ABEC 3, C0
Old Part No. was 0651 or Q13-00651
But i can not believe that i found it for $252, can someone explain to me why this ball bearing is so expensive ? there is no way will be at that price

Call an Industrial Bearing house and give them the number off the bearing or the dimensions . Abec 3 is not a precision bearing. But your machine was a Wards lathe? Most lathes use a ABEC 7. So a 3 I would think would be cheaper the $252.00

Logan and Power Kraft Lathes originally used a New Departure double row bearing which had preload "built
in" to the bearing. This is why Logan bearings have no provision for adjustment. They were designed to be used
as is until failure, though some folks have cleaned out old grease and re-lubricated them, (assuming the bearing itself
is in good shape). New Departure is long gone, and due to the unusual nature of these bearings there is no
off the shelf equivalent that I've ever heard of. Logan supplies an equivalent replacement which they special
order, and yes they cost about 250 bucks, or at least did when I bought mine. The smaller bearing at the gear train
end of the headstock is not special and should be available from a bearing supply house.
Lots of folks have tried to find a work around for this situation, but I'm not aware of one that is viable. When I
replaced mine, I consoled myself with the fact that at least a replacement bearing is available. If it weren't all
the old Logans would be at some point essentially worthless.

Last edited:
In case you haven't taken the headstock apart yet, here's an original New Departure 5207 bearing. Notice the snap ring, which locates
the bearing in the headstock.

IMG_1151.jpeg

Back