Precision Matthews AC-6-3 Adjustable 3-Jaw Chuck (D1-4)

Tired&Retired

Registered
Registered
Bought one of these several weeks ago and finally got around to mounting it on my PM-1228VF-LB Lathe.

Went pretty well, but I sure fumbled around a lot getting the "work piece" set up properly. Guess fluency will come with more experience.

I tend to take video of all such "installations" in case there are any problems showing up that I would need to document. Anyway, all went well, but I still had all that video. :)

Overall seems like a real nice piece of hardware.

I just (back) ordered one of these chucks. As I understand it, they should arrive stateside very soon. My current chuck, which is a fairly high end (purchased used) Kitagawa, has more runout than I prefer, so hoping this one can be dialed in to to some reasonably tight tolerances.

Well, apparently I didn't order an AC-6-3, I ordered the 6" Adjustable Ultra Precision. The website states "available for backorder", but I was notified today that mine shipped. Fingers crossed that I can get this thing dialed in nice and accurate. I've had problems with my PM collet chuck, where the backplate doesn't want to fit properly onto my lathe spindle. Gotta figure that out still...

I've had problems with my PM collet chuck, where the backplate doesn't want to fit properly onto my lathe spindle.
I also had problems with a PM ER40 chuck. Back plate was off so far that the Set-Tru adjusters couldn't center the chuck.

Well, the backplate doesn't fit my spindle. Just like the collet chuck. I suppose the problem may just well be my lathe spindle, since this problem keeps surfacing. I'm going to see about ever so lightly kissing/lapping the spindle taper. Fingers crossed I don't mess something up.

One other observance about this chuck is that the shape of the jaws means nothing smaller than 5/16" can be clamped. It's right there in the specs, but I missed that. I'm no chuck expert, but seems on the high side of average from what I've seen. I did buy the soft jaws, so that may help this situation...

I suppose the problem may just well be my lathe spindle, since this problem keeps surfacing. I'm going to see about ever so lightly kissing/lapping the spindle taper. Fingers crossed I don't mess something up.
I would verify that your spindle is at fault before messing with it. I would have a hard time changing a taper on a machine when "accessories" don't seem to be fitting. Take some accurate measurements with a dial test indicator and then some trig to determine what is at fault.

Back