Precision Matthews BS-1 Dividing Head Full Review & How to Use - Part 1

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
In this video I used the term Differential Indexing incorrectly, what I call Differential Indexing is actually Plain or Simple Indexing. The formula is correct for Plain/Simple Indexing. My apologies for giving it the incorrect name.

I just purchased this new Precision Matthews BS-1 Dividing Head and in the video I do a complete Review. I also completely strip down and clean up the whole unit, remove all the backlash, set it up on the mill and check all the runout and quality of this unit.

There is a full section on how to use the Dividing head as well. Discussing all the formulas for Direct Indexing, Plain/Simple indexing and Angular Indexing.

Look at the description in YouTube for the actual links to the sections outlined below. The video got to long to actually cut something, that will come in Part 2 next week.

This video is broken down in the following sections:
Tear Down - 3:00
Clean Up - 9:15
Re-Assemble - 11:05
Making new washers - 15:00
Review all the parts - 18:20
How to Remove Backlash - 22:20
Learning How to use the Dividing Head - 26:25 (Includes Direct Indexing, Plain/Simple Indexing and Angular Indexing and all the formulas for each)
Set up on the Mill and Check for Run out and Quality - 41:20

Last edited:
In the video above I used the term Differential Indexing incorrectly, what I call Differential Indexing is actually Plain or Simple Indexing. The formula is correct for Plain/Simple Indexing. My apologies for giving it the incorrect name.

This Printable image of the formula sheet fully described in the video above has been corrected with Plain/Simple Indexing.
DividingExample6.png

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information.

Posted Part 2 of this review today. Can’t seem to post the link to that thread from my phone? Same title just part 2.

In this video I used the term Differential Indexing incorrectly, what I call Differential Indexing is actually Plain or Simple Indexing. The formula is correct for Plain/Simple Indexing. My apologies for giving it the incorrect name.

In Part 2 of this review I make a couple of chess pieces then put the dividing head into action for Plain/Simple Indexing and Direct Indexing. It Performs Flawlessly - and better than me!

Also intro the concept of using a formula to get CNC like repeatability from your DRO. Was to much to get into detail in this video so look for a video to help maximize the DRO on your lathe next Saturday morning.

This video is broken down in sections and the direct links are in the YouTube description.

Discuss Project (chess pieces) - 3:05
Grind Custom Tool - 4:45
Machine Two Chess Pieces - 7:40
Plain/Simple Indexing on The Mill - 15:20
Direct Indexing on The Mill - 23:10
Finish Chess Pieces - 31:10

All Lathe work is done on a Precision Matthews PM 1440TL Lathe.
All Mill work is done on a Jet JMD-18PFN

Last edited:
Back