Price of the iron?

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
I just bought a bar of plain iron, 50×5 mm, 6 meters long, for 15 euro (more or less 20 bucks, or 12 quids).
It makes 0.01 euro for 1×1×1000 mm, which is pretty useful for mental calculations.
I got it directly from the wholesale shop selling to all the province blacksmiths, so I can't find a lower price in the surrounds.
Make me envious, please: what's the current price for iron in your area?

I just bought a bar of plain iron, 50×5 mm, 6 meters long, for 15 euro (more or less 20 bucks, or 12 quids).
It makes 0.01 euro for 1×1×1000 mm, which is pretty useful for mental calculations.
I got it directly from the wholesale shop selling to all the province blacksmiths, so I can't find a lower price in the surrounds.
Make me envious, please: what's the current price for iron in your area?

That's a pretty good price for any piece of metal that size. When I buy steel flat-stock of approximately those same dimensions (1/4" x 2" x 18'), the cost is about $30.

I'm curious, did you get a piece of steel or cast iron in that size? Cast iron usually comes in shorter lengths.

Ray

That's a pretty good price for any piece of metal that size. When I buy steel flat-stock of approximately those same dimensions (1/4" x 2" x 18'), the cost is about $30.

I'm curious, did you get a piece of steel or cast iron in that size? Cast iron usually comes in shorter lengths.

Ray

It's the normal iron used for fences and railings: mild iron, I guess.
I'm glad the price is good: living in a touristic province the "industrial" things are pretty rare and thus expensive.

B&B metals in Bakersfield had thier cuttoffs for .85 USD per pound the last time I was there (a few months ago). Thier cuttoff area is extensive. I think normal price is a bit more than that.

Back