Printer quits due to thermal anomaly

Received a thermistor yesterday. Today I replaced the one in the printer. I swear this printer has the worse service ergonomics. Good thing my wife wasn't home as I was using some blue words. I was surprised how the darn thing wanted to fight me. Disassembly was relatively easy, but wrapping the wires in their silly canvas wrap wasn't so fun, nor was reinstalling the cable clamp on the processor box. Just fought me all the way, especially with the cable clamp. Need 15 hands, light, exterior clamping via pliers, and screwing in M3 screws all at once.

The new and old thermistor differed by 10K ohms, which is only 10%. But, so far it is printing a test print. By this time, the printer would have shut down, so it's looking good. I guess I should redo the PID, and maybe the TM calibration. The temperature wanders more than it did when it was bad - but it is printing!

Umm, spoke a bit too soon. It did print, but it turned into spaghetti maybe 5 minutes after I went downstairs. (Z=~ 6mm) The good thing is it didn't overheat and over adhere to the satin sheet. I was turning the printer over on multiple sides trying to see what I was doing, and get better access, maybe messsed something up. No thermal anomolies though.

Received a thermistor yesterday. Today I replaced the one in the printer. I swear this printer has the worse service ergonomics. Good thing my wife wasn't home as I was using some blue words. I was surprised how the darn thing wanted to fight me. Disassembly was relatively easy, but wrapping the wires in their silly canvas wrap wasn't so fun, nor was reinstalling the cable clamp on the processor box. Just fought me all the way, especially with the cable clamp. Need 15 hands, light, exterior clamping via pliers, and screwing in M3 screws all at once.

The new and old thermistor differed by 10K ohms, which is only 10%. But, so far it is printing a test print. By this time, the printer would have shut down, so it's looking good. I guess I should redo the PID, and maybe the TM calibration. The temperature wanders more than it did when it was bad - but it is printing!

Umm, spoke a bit too soon. It did print, but it turned into spaghetti maybe 5 minutes after I went downstairs. (Z=~ 6mm) The good thing is it didn't overheat and over adhere to the satin sheet. I was turning the printer over on multiple sides trying to see what I was doing, and get better access, maybe messsed something up. No thermal anomolies though.

I always have to redo the hotend PID whenever I replace the thermister or heater cartridge. Even another of the exact same brand produce a sine wave on Klipper's temp/time graph if I don't recalibrate the PID.

I also have to do another Z endstop calibration anytime I work on the hotend. Somehow, even if i remove and reinstall the same hotend, it ends up being somehow a little bit different. Must be that different levels of hand tightening the screws result in different amounts of stress, deflection, or something.

I always have to redo the hotend PID whenever I replace the thermister or heater cartridge. Even another of the exact same brand produce a sine wave on Klipper's temp/time graph if I don't recalibrate the PID.

I also have to do another Z endstop calibration anytime I work on the hotend. Somehow, even if i remove and reinstall the same hotend, it ends up being somehow a little bit different. Must be that different levels of hand tightening the screws result in different amounts of stress, deflection, or something.
Finished the TM cal, now doing the PID. After that the Z level.

I'm just gratified that it was the thermistor, and I managed to replace it without goofing up anything else. The new good thermistor didn't seem to be all that different reading from the bad old one.

Back