Printing Speed Question

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Printing a simple 100mm x 178mm x 40mm high box, 2.5mm thick. I'm wondering about the speed of print. The default speeds seem to be pretty slow in the Prusa Slicer program.

The standard settings are going to take 9h 13m.

Changing the Perimeters setting from 45 mm/s to 60 mm/s changed the printing time down to 8h 45m
Changing the External Perimeters setting from 25 mm/s to 45 mm/s changed the printing time down to 7h 26m

What do you guys normally use? There seems to be several settings that might affect the speed of print.

These are the PLA settings I use in my Voron 2.4.

I could probably go a little faster, but im getting great results with this.

1675659493374.png

Depending on the detail needed for your print, you could also increase the nozzle width to increase effective deposition rate. I bought some spare nozzles in a wide range of sizes to try out. Hopefully the settings above will good enough.

It takes some experimenting and it varies according to the filament you're using, and the printer etc., but the basic answer is you can increase the speed until the hot end can't keep up anymore. Then you can increase the heat and go a little faster. rinse and repeat until you reach a different limiting factor. You can print using temps way higher than normally used (or recommended) if the filament is going thru fast enough, but you'll reach a point where the filament is burning if left to sit in the hot end for too long. Higher temps can mean more oozing during pauses, and more stringing too. It's a complicated balancing act.

I was using PLA and my initial setting was .15mm Quility. I changed the setting to .20mm speed and that almost matched what Ken had sent.

Depending on the detail needed for your print, you could also increase the nozzle width to increase effective deposition rate. I bought some spare nozzles in a wide range of sizes to try out. Hopefully the settings above will good enough.

I do have another .6mm nozzle, I should try that on one of the boxes in making.

It takes some experimenting and it varies according to the filament you're using, and the printer etc., but the basic answer is you can increase the speed until the hot end can't keep up anymore. Then you can increase the heat and go a little faster. rinse and repeat until you reach a different limiting factor. You can print using temps way higher than normally used (or recommended) if the filament is going thru fast enough, but you'll reach a point where the filament is burning if left to sit in the hot end for too long. Higher temps can mean more oozing during pauses, and more stringing too. It's a complicated balancing act.

Thanks for the feed back.

Back