Procunier E 1 Tap Head

dlane

Active User
Registered
Any one have this tap head , how do you like it , best place to buy collets for it.?
Do I need a collet for each tap size ?. I know it's a small one but it'll do for now.
By hand is there a way to tell if it works correctly, how to tell if it's worth putting money into ?.
Noticed a crack in collet nut , guess I'll need a new nut, and the collets I'll be useing for 1/4, #10, #8, #6
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks

I have a procunier, used it a lot until I got my CNC to do rigid tapping. It hasn't been off the shelf sense then. if you have a lot of tapping, its a real time saver.

Look at the size of the square on the tap, you need a different collet for each size here. Several smaller taps are the same on the drive end. I found my collets on eBay.

You'll have to run it in a drill press or mill to see if it works. if its been laying in a corner , it will be worth your while to dissemble and clean. The issue I had with one was the clutch wore out. The unit would stall out. IIRC, the clutch wasn't real expensive.

Diane,

I have a couple of extra collets that I can let go of. I want to say they are No. 8 and 10. I can't check at the moment. I'm out of the country right now and will not be back home until mid next week. But I'll be glad to check when I get back.

Ken

Any one have this tap head , how do you like it , best place to buy collets for it.?
Do I need a collet for each tap size ?. I know it's a small one but it'll do for now.
By hand is there a way to tell if it works correctly, how to tell if it's worth putting money into ?.
Noticed a crack in collet nut , guess I'll need a new nut, and the collets I'll be useing for 1/4, #10, #8, #6
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
A Procunier instruction manual can be downloaded free. It takes a bit of clever website searching but it is there. I have a 2E that wants attention but that's way back in the project que. The 1E will tap 1/4 threads in aluminum. #10 is the limit for mild steel. I'm fairly sure that you'll need individual collets.

I have some old Procunier heads I'm not sure which model and some newer tapmatic ones. They are both rated for the same size taps but I like the Procunier better it will tap to the max size its rated for. The tapmatic won't. The Procunier is also alot shorter which helps fit in a small drill press.

Back