Program Glich

JFL4066

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi Yuriy,
I want to report this issue I had recently...
I'm running the latest software upgrade.
In milling machine configuration I was creating a new workspace. Adding to my list of 7. After I pressed create, The display blinked and erased all of my workspaces and then I received a notification that one of my axis was not calibrated. I had to recalibrate X, Y, and Z and reset the Axis and Display parameters back to the way I had them. I have been running TouchDro for 3 years now and never had an issue till now? Was a recent upgrade pushed to my display pad and maybe causing this?
John

John,
This sounds like flash memory corruption.
Calibration is linked to the configuration, and so are the workspaces. Those are stored in different files, so under normal conditions the software doesn't have a way to override the configuration table when saving to the workspace (this is a fundamental property of the database engine). I.e. a software bug would not cause this. Plus, I haven't made any changes to that area of the code for months (probably since last year).

If there was a write error to an internal flash block, it would corrupt the database. Since flash blocks are usually 1MB to 8MB in size, a corrupt write could damage the whole database (the total database size can be just a few hundred KB, so the whole database would fit into one block.
Flash memory is usually written as a series of read-erase-write operations. If the display blinking was some sort of power brownout/fault that happened during the write operation, it would explain corruption. A faulty/worn out flash memory would too (although most decent devices have wear balancing/over-provisioning in place to avoid this).

This is obviously just my theory. It's hard to say after the fact...

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks for the reply Yuriy,
Memory corruption makes a lot of sense. If it happens again, do you recommend I replace my Android tablet or is there a way to replace the memory?
John

Thanks for the reply Yuriy,
Memory corruption makes a lot of sense. If it happens again, do you recommend I replace my Android tablet or is there a way to replace the memory?
John
John,
It could be a one-off event, or the chip(s) is/are going bad. Hard to tell.
I'd wait and if you get this again, you will probably need to replace the tablet.

Regards
Yuriy

Back