Progress On My Carriage

Bob, Just scraping and sanding. I've tried stripper in the past. I don't like the mess. When I scrape it I can clean up with the shop vac. As long as I keep the scrapers sharp it pretty much peels right off. I'm not going for a showroom finish, I just want to clean it up and get rid of some of the "ugly".

BTW, did you test this stuff for lead? Just curious.

Tim

Tim, I did not. That's one of the biggest reasons I scrape the majority of it. I wear my respirator when I use the sander. If I had to guess, I would suspect leaded paint.

Chuck

Tim, I did not. That's one of the biggest reasons I scrape the majority of it. I wear my respirator when I use the sander. If I had to guess, I would suspect leaded paint.

Chuck

On my 4902 there are spots worn bare on the headstock and carriage, but the chipping and crumbly bits on the bed reveal something that reminds me of red lead. I did the ol' boat thing and slapped more paint on 'em.

Tim

On my 4902 there are spots worn bare on the headstock and carriage, but the chipping and crumbly bits on the bed reveal something that reminds me of red lead. I did the ol' boat thing and slapped more paint on 'em.

Tim

Tim, I noticed the red lead thing myself. If this lathe hadn't already had two bad paint jobs in machine gray and john deere green, I would have just done the "ol' boat thing" too. lol In the past I have taken a lathe all apart, fixed all the bushings and misc broken things and just put it back together. Then it works so good, but it still looks like crap and I kick myself for not taking the extra time to just prep it a little and brush some paint on it. This one has turned into more of a project than I envisioned when I bought it. Oh well....

Chuck

Back