Project Idea - Nickel From Bridge Of Spies

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Has anyone considered making the nickel from the movie Bridge of Spies? As soon as a saw the movie I figured one would show up here. Not sure if I can do it but I may try. If you havent seen the movie I highly recommend it!
I don't wat to describe the nickel and ruin the movie.
R

Last edited:
Check out how they make novelty coins used in magic tricks. I know they use a jeweler's saw with very fine blades, which allows them to do such things as cut a quarter in 3 pieces which then allows the quarter to fold. The trick is to get the quarter into and out of a soda or beer bottle.

I'd never seen the coin mentioned in the movie. In reading Operation Overflight, Gary Powers said the CIA gave him a "suicide needle".

I made one of these on my little lathe. First, I made a collet to hold the nickel, then machined two nickels to make the finished product. The resultant telegraphed through a couple of ridges to the outside of the halves, so it didn't work perfectly. Perhaps soldering the nickels to a support might work better.

I made one of these on my little lathe. First, I made a collet to hold the nickel, then machined two nickels to make the finished product. The resultant telegraphed through a couple of ridges to the outside of the halves, so it didn't work perfectly. Perhaps soldering the nickels to a support might work better.
I would love to see pics if you have any! I was also thinking 2 nickels as you described.
R

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read below before seeing the movie

I just saw this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Nickel_Case

R

the pictures aren't very good, but here you go.

DSCN0221.JPG DSCN0222.JPG DSCN0223.JPG

Reactions: rwm
Back