Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A TEFC motor would obviously be best for my little bandsaw conversion project. However, I found a virtually new 3/4 hp, 1,725 rpm, open enclosure Baldor motor for $80. I'm replacing the little 1/3 hp open enclosure motor that's been on the saw for the last 35 years. Now the problem arises as to how best to keep the chips away from it in its new position relative to the saw.

I thought maybe I would make a cover out of sheetmetal or plywood that would extend up both ends of the motor and over the top. This would at least keep chips from landing on it, and shield the belt and pulleys as well. The top of the cover could extend a bit under the table surface. There would still be plenty of circulation around the motor.

Steel chips are heavier than grinder dust or sawdust, and I'm hoping they are too heavy to be sucked into the motor if they are kept away from the ends.

The whole set-up will sit on a 10" x 20" piece of 1/4" steel plate and the brackets supporting the saw, table support tube, and the motor will be welded in place. The cardboard table template will be replaced by 1/4" steel plate. The square tube supporting the table can be slid forward to gain access to the wheels and blade.

Any advice other than get a TEFC motor?

IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4695.JPG IMG_4698.JPG

Air circulation is important on these open motors, so as long as the motor isn't totally enclosed in the box, you should be good. Make sure there's plenty of space around the endbells.

I have bent sheetmetal with standoff built into the design, using the motor squeeze bolts to retain the shield

Another option is to glue or otherwise attach a scotchbrite pad or other suitable material to act like an air filter

Another possible would be to mount the motor below. It looks like you have room. Then a shroud over the driven pulley should keep any debris out

Mounting underneath is a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm too far into it to move the motor below. I ended up doing this. Another point is that on something like this, which is quite top-heavy, I like to put some ballast on a lower shelf. Having the motor below would have helped in that regard. I might cut the old 4 x 6 cast iron base in half and put it down there. With my belt grinder, I put an old drill press table and a hydraulic press plate under it. Of course, I used a TEFC motor on that.

IMG_4706.JPG IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG IMG_8933.JPG

Last edited:
Back